Upgraded

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Evl1, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Evl1

Evl1 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Albany, NY
    Well after a long 40,000 miles I finally upgraded today and got a 2014 Prostar. Its just what I wanted although the color, purple, was certainly not my first choice. It has a lot more room then the Cascadia light weight, actually has two overhead cabinets for storage. Over all a very nice truck. No issues with room and for now im planning on leaving the passenger seat in. It looks like there is enough room between the seat and the bunk for a refrigerator or thermo cooler. I will post pics when I can if people want to see the this light weight.
    Only question I have is that this has the engine that runs without def, which I thought International stopped using in 2013. I haven't heard anything good about these engines but ill keep you updated. Also if anyone can let me know about the maintenance schedule for this truck I would appreciate it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Congratulations. Must be a wonderful feeling. Many safe miles to you.

Evl1 Thanks this.
  4. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Congrats to you !!!

Evl1 Thanks this.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Contact your RA associate... easiest way is to send a macro 21. Don't use the "reply" function... that only goes back to dispatch.

Prime frequently does "pre-buys" which allows the manufacturer to produce the trucks, and store them at Prime before they are put into service. Yep, you have a 2013 engine (MaxFarce,) in a Prostar built in 2013, but put into service in 2014. It has "2014" on the title.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Evl1 Thanks this.
  6. Flipsmurf

Flipsmurf Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Huntersville, NC
    Yeah Post some Pic's and keep us updated on how the Engine performs

7. Easy Steamer

Easy Steamer Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good Job Bud

Evl1 Thanks this.
  8. Evl1

Evl1 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Albany, NY
    So far I like the truck, good room and good features. Extremely quiet and a smooth ride. The only thing I dislike about it is the extremely weak engine break. Its more or less non existent. I could throw my feet out and drag them and that would have more of a breaking effect. It also doesn't engage as soon as you let of the throttle, you have to hit the break to engage it. And then it cuts off when you hit 1000 rpm. Seems like the boys at international could of at least tried to make the engine break work. Ill have to get used to it. Other then that I think its a good truck.

9. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Downshift... it's not effective at lower RPMs. Use your foundation brakes when the Jake isn't giving you enough braking.

Evl1 Thanks this.
  10. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    I found that the engine brake worked best when I downshifted to the "correct" gear. Example is coming down Donner on the west side the speed limit is 40 MPH, I would down shift to 7th, kick the engine brake on, and that would hold it at around 40 mph, of course the RPMs would be around 2K but she would hold at 40mph. Try that, and see if that will work for you

Evl1 Thanks this.
  11. Evl1

Evl1 Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Albany, NY
    Haven't hit a decent downgrade yet since im on the northeast regional but ill shift down low on the first one I come across and get a feel for it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.