Upgrading from cdl b to a

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by srekcurt9291, May 17, 2018.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Definitely go Class A. Only way to go.
    Don't worry about failing. The only thing the school is focused on is getting you to pass. You can have a second chance. More chances than that will probably cost you the test cost again?

Just go in and learn the standard transmission on a truck. Doesn't matter which one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    In my school you could take the road test up to 3 times. Anything after that would cost you extra $. Everyone in my clas passed on the first try though.

4. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Yup that’s the only way to drive mixers or dump trucks. People will wonder why. I’m an owner operator with a triaxle dump. When you never ever see the highway and only drive towns or city for 10-12 hours a day, you have absolutely no choice but to be an expert at floating. You are constantly stopping at traffic lights all day. Try using the clutch for shifting and you would not have use of your leg within 2 hours due to cramping. If your super tall like me, your knee would be trashed. OTR guys shift up to high gear and stay there all day

5. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    I seriously do not mean to make light of you.
    You obviously do not know about clutch brakes. An OTR guy never ever pushes in the clutch all the way unless the truck is completely stopped. Otherwise he blows his clutch brake out.
    Double clutching is not hard. It is easier on the gears. This, from a guy who didn't do any double clutching for 7 years. Is great at slipping the gears.

6. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Had to edit my intial post becuase I had no idea why you brought up clutch brakes. I know all about short tapping the clutch pedal. Thanks for lecture about what clutch brakes are for though. I’m an owner/operator. That is fine if you like to do tap your clutch all day. But I’m sure you are an otr driver. It will still get old if you are a city driver only. If double clutching makes you feel at home. By all means do it. Do what floats your boat.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  7. WesternPlains

Sep 1, 2017
    So why tell people about their legs cramping etc. etc. .... No big deal with double clutching.

8. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Oh god. Where’s the face palm emoji for this guy. 7 years floating in the city and has class a for not even a year and decides to start using clutch otr. Now, why do you think that is??Just when you think you have seen it all lol. You backed up what I said in my original post without even saying it in this thread but then sidetracked. End of conversation with you and this thread captain double clutcher. What I don’t understand, is why after all those years you would decide to use clutch. Unless you are terrible at floating, floating is as smooth as can be on trans and much better for it unless you are terrible at it. Good day lol

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The OP asked his question over 2 months ago. I hope they got an answer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.