UPS Approved for Drones!!!

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by BigDog Trucker, Oct 1, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Funny Orion story. When the nerds were riding with us trying to get it to work my center manager told us we had to do the stops 100% the way the computer people told us we had to. I got back at 10:30 at night and brought back like 30 commercial stops and 40 residential stops lol. The lady was telling me how she had a hour and a half ride home from the hub like I was supposed to feel bad for her. Next morning I get the just get it done like you have been and don't ever do that again lol. Another win for working blindly obedient! Oh and I also missed the shuttle to the airport and the trailers had all left so other than the keepers I picked up not a single package made service. Orion...the solution!

McUzi, De Trucker and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Sometimes we make money in spite of ourselves. Lol

De Trucker and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I wonder how many of these will get shot out of the sky. :biggrin_25523:

5. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    I wouldnt hang my hat on that. You can be laid off VERY easily with the snap of some fingers.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Not saying it could never happen but 20 years in with the company I have never seen a single layoff.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  7. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Oh ######.

Look what I did.

Attached Files:

McUzi, BigDog Trucker and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    I hear ya. They keep refining this technology though and theyre always in pursuit of saving man hours because it saves them money and boosts profit. I dont think drones will deliver every package, but I could see them reducing man hours in the driver jobs by 30% or more. Less man hours means less drivers. I could also see them consolidating terminals as drones take on more of the load.

9. FlaSwampRat

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I see this as the circle of ups dumping money into things to make them look forward thinking and they will probably be saying how good for the environment it will be because less trucks on the road..it's all about looking like they are doing something even if they aren't. Kinda like the hybrid truck push... failure but they were gonna save the Earth. Kinda like the few billion they dumped into the rail system a few years back, it was gonna get everything done faster and take trucks off the road but now they are quitting with all the trains and hiring sleeper teams like crazy because the trains didn't work out. Going to dvir in the diad to save paper and save trees, now there is no paper trail for the pre trips on trucks...not gonna last lol. This is one of many many pr schemes that unless you work for them you don't understand how they just use it to look good and you never hear about the failed outcomes of it. They will NEVER put drones on a package car for a driver to have to operate, it's too much of a distraction for the driver to have to think about it, it's too much cost for it to get damaged in the truck, it will take up too much space in a truck that already doesn't have enough space for packages in it. The cost alone of putting them on trucks and training people to use them will stop it from ever happening, this is a company that still has trucks with no power steering in their fleet lol.

De Trucker and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  10. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If a UPS drone and a FedEx drone were in the same area would they get into a dog-fight?

11. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    You know a drone can only carry 10 pounds.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.