UPS Feeder Driver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Midwesttrucker, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    An early start time as a bid yes, closer to 30. It doesn’t take too many years at some locations to get a bid with a start at noon or early afternoon. Extra loads during the day are covered by on call drivers who may be brand new.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Copy. I always noticed a lot of older drivers on those sweet gigs.

Banker and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    And they usually stay forever and ever and ever. I won’t knock someone who doesn’t retire because they like what they do, but I might still be there if some had retired. But then I wouldn’t have just had dinner and a margarita with the family and off to bed in a couple hours if I was still there. I guess the old timers did me a favor.

5. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm the opposite, I think these companies should set a mandatory retirement age. It's selfish for these old guys to take a spot on the board when you got young guys with families patiently waiting to get on.

The #1 guy at UPS here started in 1968. That's ridiculous, the guy is like 76 years old.

6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    It’s only ridiculous until you are the 76yr old and still like your job and some young person tells you that you got to go! I’m 52 and plan to work as long as I am healthy. Don’t need to financially but still like working and won’t be asking anyone for permission to stay. We can disagree and still converse with each other. I will tell you that many of my opinions at 20 something no longer exist at 50 something.

Midwesttrucker and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  7. Mack185

Feb 25, 2008
    It’s selfishness at that point. He’s under the old rules so he is drawing a sizable maxed out pension and a full time paycheck. It’s time for him to go, I understand that there are young folks out there that want a good job and that is more important than me liking my job and having nothing better to do.

Coover and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I have a pretty good idea of your terminal. That guy is very proud to still be working, isn't he?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  9. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Maxed pension, social security, and a SWEET run. Probably making a couple grand a month, easy. *straight face*

10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I won’t even speculate as to why others do things. I don’t want others telling me what I am going to do and therefore I won’t tell them what to do. Even in union jobs we still live in a free society and just because you think something should be a certain way, does not mean everyone does. When they are having trouble finding qualified people for hundreds of openings nationwide explain to me exactly how the older people staying past your acceptable guidelines are adversely effecting young qualified people from getting a job? Maybe it isn’t that the young people are having trouble getting a job, maybe they don’t want the bottom jobs with screwed up start times and days that everyone including those “greedy old people” you refer to worked when they were young and had no seniority. When I see the number one man on the board who might have 50 years in I don’t see a greedy person, I see someone who has earned the right to stay as long as he/she chooses to stay even if the bottom person doesn’t like it. Just my opinion and don’t really care if anyone agrees with it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  11. Mack185

Feb 25, 2008
    Fininding qualified people isn’t so much the problem as finding qualified people to work as a temporary seasonal who’s on call and has no insurance. They can’t get full time until either spots are created or guys retire. If you want to work so bad than retire and go work at ace hardware or even better go do volunteer work. Let’s just hope he doesn’t decide to give up the ghost as he’s barreling down the interstate at 68 mph.

The official slogan for baby boomers should be “#### you, I’m getting mine”.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.