UPS Freight Basic Questions for 2019

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Northeasterner, Jul 2, 2019.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Because we don’t want some ####### with 30 years in the city switching to linehaul the second a daytime run opens up, bumping a guy with 26 years in who’s been patiently waiting for the spot to open. If that’s how things were run, far less people would be willing to put up with the bs runs that come with the bottom on the road board.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What’s wrong with that? Has the 30 year not put in more time than the 26 year guy?

If those runs suck that bad, then somebody needs to do something to make those more worth a driver’s while.

Bob Dobalina, Cardfan89 and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  4. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    They did do something about those runs...they made it so you have to work your way up past them when you transfer to linehaul. It’s the most cost effective way to do it from a business point of view.

I don’t like it, but I’m willing to deal with it because I know with 100% certainty that once I get past it, I won’t get bumped back down by someone transferring in above me.

Gearjammin' Penguin and McUzi Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The way we handle that is to give the linehaul guys with lower paying runs interline or volume loads before or after their runs, plus some work the dock at the other end.

Not an issue with one seniority list. Everybody’s in the same boat. ;)

The only way that would happen here is if somebody transfers in from another barn, which around these parts is pretty rare. We’ve had at least 4 that I know of transfer out, but nobody came in yet in the 15 years I’ve been here.

6. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Here at Up, it depends on the terminal----some will have two separate boards for city( city AND dock together in some cases) and a separate for road and some terminals only have one board for everyone. May depend on the union local?

My terminal has 2 separate boards and while i would prefer one board, i can see why there are two.
    In my case, city and dock are on one board, road on the other----this means if someone working on the dock for 20yrs gets their cdl and wants to go city to the "top" run, then can.

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  7. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i want to add in a little more about equipment:
    It seems like Ex has newer equipment and gets newer equipment sooner, including city. Whereas here at UP, we like to keep our equipment longer, keeping the tractors until at least 1 million miles. Our maintenance is top notch though.

If you're city at UP, you will supplied a pallet jack and handtruck. Ex, i'm not sure---when i was there, they were tight about that for some reason.....

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    We prefer effort and sacrifice over time spent filling a seat.

jmz Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Or humping freight? o_O

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Lumper with a license

Lumper with a license Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Mississippi
    I know the pay is less at ups freight than it is at parcel but how do the benifits compare ie: health dental and vision

11. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Benefits packages are the same.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.