UPS Freight Basic Questions for 2019

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Northeasterner, Jul 2, 2019.

1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    I don’t know about UPS, but I’ve been told that FedEx Freight locations in Nebraska shut down for at least 20 days last winter due to road conditions. And yes, 4 weeks without working will significantly impact your pay...

Northeasterner and KullenTrucking Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    FedEx Driving Structure is:

Corporate Drivers:
    • Express - RTD (Ramp Transport Driver), similar to UPS Feeder, paid by the hour
    • Express - Courier (P&D, can be with CDL or non CDL vehicle), paid by the hour
    • Freight - Road Driver (Linehaul), paid by the mile, hourly if dockwork included
    • Freight - City Driver (P&D), paid hourly
    Contractor Drivers, generally significantly underpaid, overworked and lacking benefits:
    • Ground - Courier (P&D, can be with CDL or non CDL vehicle), pay ranges, some contractors pay by the piece, some by the hour, some salary
    • Ground - Linehaul Driver, pay can be hourly or by the mile

KullenTrucking Thanks this.
  4. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    The job aint for everyone. You'll most likely have a junk start time and wont look at a 6am start for your first 10+ years. The pay is junk, depending on area. For me, I started out at $17. Some areas start you off at more bc the jobs are harder to fill. The health benefits are good because theyre free. The pension by end of contract will be $120/yr for every 'good' year of service. The terminal I was at had junk tractors for all the junior guys. Im talkin no a/c with it 90+ degrees out and trucks that you could barely shift cuz the gears were worn out. So that makes for a good 12hr workday lol. They do not care about the freight, as in they just slam it however they want. You should see some of the turkeys on the loading dock. Its crazy. If I had a business shipping out fragile equipment, upsf would just about be the last shipping company I'd use.

Also as mentioned, ups doesnt give two figs about you. This was evidenced in how they broke the union and made them heel in contract negotiations. Although one has to wonder how in bed are the teamster leaders and ups negotiators. Youre only as good as the numbers you help them make, and the company will tell you that they 'barely' make any profit off of freight which is complete bull. Your standard workday will be 11hrs. I would figure on putting in 12 for the day, with a few days going up to 13 or 14. So 60+hr a wk paychecks will be standard.

Not much can really be said other then to be ready to offer your life to ups and do as they say, and in return they will give you the opportunity to earn a half-decent paycheck along with a little pension and a 401k account if you choose to put any money into it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    speedyk and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    That definitely sounds like first hand experience lol. Pretty much all the same stuff I have been saying.

BigDog Trucker Thanks this.
  6. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    Freight was at least a lil better in that we didnt have to look like total dorks like the small pack guys. Our dudes used to wear their uniforms however they wanted. Some dudes would just wear sleevless t's w their brown shorts when it was hot enough lol. And the dispatchers would come in wearing joggning pants and polo shirts haha.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. KullenTrucking

KullenTrucking Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2019
    South Florida
    You're right. Just saw and job ad from Saia offering an hourly pay starting as high as $30.56.
    Do Road Drivers run overnight or daytime routes?

Northeasterner Thanks this.
  8. Hardrunner22

Hardrunner22 Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2018

Road drivers vary day and night. Mostly nights.

9. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i am not attempting to criticize or condemn this post, rather i'm trying to expand upon it. My comments will be in blue. (click to expand)

BigDog Trucker and The Shadow Thank this.
  10. BigDog Trucker

Nov 4, 2018
    You were city with a 6am start?? Wow, not at my terminal. Thos spot were locked up by the old timers. Dudes with 10+ yrs in were STILL waiting for those bids to open up. Regarding a/c, our shop was bare bones and only did what was necessary to keep trucks barely running. I suppose the trucks with no a/c could have been red tagged, but then that would have left 4 or 5 tractors out of service and the yard short on trucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.