UPS Freight Diary:

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Russian Rabbit, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    That's how union jobs work. They start off around $17.50 or so. Year 2 is around $18.50. Year 3 is around $24. After year 4, your at top rate. He'll be making well over $80k by then. Probably make more in linehaul.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

In two years his pay will double? In two years he'll make 36 bucks an hour to break my #### before I ever get it. This world is crazy!

(I know how unions work. But the ones I've been in, you don't earn $40,000 more in year 4 than year 2 )

4. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    UPS is one of the highest paying jobs. Starting pay sucks, but if you can stick it out, well worth it. And by the way Shack, $36 is the top rate for UPS ground, Freight is $29. You need a hazmat to work at freight, ground you don't.

5. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    Everyone wants to #### the brown clown.

Jay5GS, Mike2633 and Canned Spam Thank this.
  6. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    For a diary, it's pretty empty.

Metallica88, TBonze and Canned Spam Thank this.
  7. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Yes, P+D. We still have at least 1/2 Overnite trucks at this barn. Mostly International 9300 series and Volvos. Also straight trucks, though we are phasing the Overnite straight trucks out pretty quickly. One problem is the P+D trucks are former road trucks-----after a road tractor gets a certain amount of miles on it, they "retire" it to city use---which means a lot of them don't steer or shift easy. The newer volvos don't have this problem though. i hear we are going to be switching to Freightliners. i'm not complaining.

i think top rate is $27/$28 under the "old" contract. i'm under the new contract. i don't have my book with me right now, but will research and report back.

Not exactly, but the uniform does attract attention; i have personally witnessed women asking for driver's phone #'s. Not me though.

i am at the 2nd year rate. i don't have my book in front of me. Also, we will be getting a new contract, i think this year or next, so the top rate by then may be in the $30's.

Sho Nuff and HalpinUout Thank this.
  8. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    Thanks. Will do.

All day cabs. You generally won't haul doubles unless you do nightime linehaul. There are some sleepers at larger hubs and i think they are mostly team. Not real sure on this, i'll try to ask someone in the know.

At freight, i have seen a sprinkling of KW's at other terminals. Again, i "hear" from higher ups that we are switching to Freightliner. Also, many terminals that service large cities also have straight trucks---and quite a few drivers actually prefer them. Freight is grey and brown (or the old overnite blue) whereas ground is totally brown. BTW, we are two totally different companies that are under the UPS umbrella. Two totally different atmospheres (and thank heavens for that.........)

i wasn't meaning to brag. (although the benefits are also pretty good......) This is just a straightforward, honest diary.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  9. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    I wasn't quite sure on the color, I knew gray was mixed in their. Those straight truck guys make a lot of money, with all the additional tips they get.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    This is another factor; We get quite a few residential deliveries to people's homes for stuff they REALLY want---like furniture, car parts, flatscreens etc. i don't know if the straight truck guys or anyone in general is making "big money" from tips. i'm averaging about $20 per week in tips and i get average 1 residential a day. And this is in a fairly wealthy section of town.

11. Sho Nuff

Apr 9, 2015
    One thing I've learned, it's not the wealthy that tip, it's the blue coller middle class that do. I know Freight guys who, after building seniority, bid on the straight truck residential, and do that everyday, and make in between 1-2 hundred a day in tips. And they always dread going into the wealthy part of town, and I agree on the different atmosphere. UPS Freight is more Blue Coller, laid back, where as UPS Ground is more White Coller, more corperate.

windsmith Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.