UPS Freight Diary:

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Russian Rabbit, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i "heard" that some terminals start off at $22 because they can't find anyone?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fili209

Fili209 Bobtail Member

May 17, 2018
    I was interviewed by UPS in the west coast and they start off at 18 something an hour. Great

4. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    We will be voting on strike authorization not to strike. This gives negotiators the power to call a strike at a moments notice if negotiations go sour.
    It's more or less a negotiating tactic.

5. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    Do you mean TO strike? Or NOT to strike?

6. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

What happened is i DID go back to working city one week last month because we got backed up because of the snow and also because i could get a break from night shift.

But i wanted to post the check to illustrate that if one did get enough hours, one could get close or even match/exceed would you could make running linehaul. Some people have trouble working nights/sleeping during day. Myself included to a certain extent; Will comment on this in another thread.

But it's a tradeoff:
    Do you want to put up with sometimes rude and/or slow and/or highly annoying customers. Inside deliveries (some difficult). Residentials, and anyone who has ever done a residential knows it can be tight. Then the m-truckers want YOU to bring THEIR stuff into THEIR basement (although sometimes they do tip---i'd say 50% of the time).
    Horrendous traffic (depends on city)
    Bicycles coming from EVERY direction. Again depends on city, but if you could picture a clock, then bicycles can and do come in at EVERY possible angle. And depending on the city, the bicyclists DON'T follow traffic rules, they make up their own.
    Pedestrians who think they own the street and take their time and/or don't pay attention.
    RUSH RUSH RUSH, PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE-----gotta make the pickups AND delivery appointments!!!! NUMBERS!
    Also, depending on terminal, your tractor may or may not be raggedy; Linehaul ALWAYS gets the new equipment. (Note: some of our city tractors have 800,000 to over a million miles on them..........)
    Sleep normally.
    OR
    Would you rather pretty much just drive, listen to music/podcasts and eat. Not have any traffic whatsover
    Never any rush; Even when we do have hot/or next day freight, it's still not a rush coz they know how long it takes to get from terminal to terminal.

Everything is so laidback. i'd say 20% of the time i don't even break or setup my trailers. The jockey does that.
    You always get the latest and greatest tractors(NEW). With air conditioning so cold you have to turn it down. Not that you would need it, cos it's cool at night.
    $$$ BIG MONEY $$$$

But, you have to work at night.............

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  7. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    I did a residential delivery yesterday. Customer ordered a hanging bed. Obviously wealthy based on their location and house. Terminal loaded on a pup with no lift gate. I get to their house, and now I'm scratching my head how im gonna muscle off a 300lb pallet off the back of the track. Sure enough, I get er done. Even muscle down the pallet jack to move the freight into customers driveway, then muscle the jack back into the truck. I got a $20 tip out of it. But the thing is, the customer was expecting a white glove service. Thats got me wondering, does UPS or a vendor promise one thing, when real life is another????

8. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    I think they’ve had furniture delivered by the store itself and believe we do the setup and everything like that

coastietruckin' Thanks this.
  9. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Thats what I'm thinking, too. I told em to co tact the vendor they bought from and make sure they didnt pay $300 for $100 shipping.

10. scj_87

scj_87 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2010
    OK
    Delivering a playground set or a weight set to a residential can be loads of fun too...

coastietruckin' Thanks this.
  11. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    UPDATE:

richmond terminal is beginning to tick me off...............

1) The new terminal "manager" at richmond is a LYING (EDITED ENDING WITH A "T" )

a) She can't handle the pressure so she blames the subordinate employees:
    Now, isn't this just sad.

b) There is a queen bee syndrome that is unfortunately prevalent at richmond, which unfortunately includes SOME, NOT ALL, BUT SOME other female "managers." (Not that the male "managers" don't have their heads up their culus either...........)

c) It really pains me to say all this, but this is a diary and i'm telling it like it is. Really, i believe teamwork and unity is the best way and THE ONLY WAY.
    Let this be a notice to all of our competitors:

If you're getting along with your managers and co-workers, then your company will be unstoppable and we'll be left in the dust............. i mean FedEx has already overtaken us as the highest paying LTL'er company.

d) Lord, keep me away from this wretched, decaying, cesspool excuse for a terminal......

2) On a brighter note, i'm/we're running our tails off; Freight is raining from the sky (At least the sales staff is doing their job correctly.....) More miles than we can physically and legally handle.

These two checks do not necessarily reflect this because i was on vacation for one week, but the upcoming checks should reflect this overflowsion of freight:

[​IMG]

3) My brand new '18 Liner got snatched away from me due to seniority reasons. i'm not complaining because the replacement, despite having over 900,000 on the clock does the job as good if not better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.