UPS Freight Diary:

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Russian Rabbit, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Only 41 hours? That's a very relaxing week ;)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i'm going to put it on the table:

1) We're in the middle of a contract re-negotiation. It's not going very smoothly.

2) Companies such as Old dominion, Saia, estes etc. ARE eating our lunch and ARE up and coming and ARE poised to overtake us AND they need to be reckoned with. (i think OD already HAS overtaken us)

We all would like more money---who doesn't? But the company cannot reasonably expect to make a reasonable profit AND pay that much more money in wages..........

SmoothTrucker23 and Fuelinmyveins Thank this.
  4. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    If the company wasn't run by buffoons we would be very profitable.

SmoothTrucker23 Thanks this.
  5. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

UPDATES:

2)
    [​IMG]

Sometimes we don't get new trucks. We get new (or in this case, remanufactured) engines.

3) I WANT TO CHOKE THE LIVING #$%^% OUT OF SOMEONE AT THE COMP............
    Nevermind...........take a deep breath...........i won't be doing that. We will talk it out. She's a human being who is/was under tremendous stress.

You might look at the guy driving the brown truck and think that they are making .72 cpm and $38 with overtime after 8 and 40 and think they got it made. But you don't see what happens BEHIND the golden brown pearly doors at UPS; i will discuss "Queen Bee" syndrome and other unfortunate phenomenons in the workplace in another thread.

We got regional managerks and terminal managerks at each other's throats. The TM's are putting unrealsitic pressure on the mid-level and lower level managerks----these lower level managerks seemingly have no choice but to put it on the "worker bees" (drivers and dockers). It's a mess and it doesn't have to be. i will discuss this all soon.

speedyk Thanks this.
  6. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Well don't leave us hanging;) I remember when I was younger people used to tell me that being a driver for UPS was one of the best jobs.

7. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    It still is from a pay and benefits standpoint.

8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Out of curiosity I took a look at UPS. Interesting how many managers and clerks and sales people they are hiring! If they manage to get it back it's a great chance to get in.

Just to see what happens I applied for both road driver and package delivery, expecting to hear bupkis back.

9. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I have 4 applications in with them, one from way back in May and have yet to hear anything. They keep posting job openings, but I'm beginning to wonder if the jobs are really there or if its a way for the terminals to claim they are short staffed when they dont meet targets or to justify overtime.

speedyk Thanks this.
  10. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Your thought is a good one, that's why I applied on both sides of the aisle, to see what happens. I'm noticing a lot of admin positions open at UPS, likely HR is behind.

But they aren't the only one doing that. One food service company had open listings from last year on their site, only know that because they called out of the blue asking if I was still interested in an app from 2017 I'd forgotten about. Just before that I got an email saying I wasn't qualified, and try again some day.

Not making fun, I think it must be pandemonium at some companies right now.

Another one sent me an email address to reply to with a resume so they could process me right away; it bounced. They advertise on CL every day, but probably have some stupid email filter they don't even know about.

An LTL company sent me a final acceptance link to click to do background before hire on a long-open position, then... nothing. But their HR is famous for long dropouts. I checked back in twice, silence. Then they will pop up when I have something else and wonder why I'm not responsive.

So who knows, I might end up at UPS by accident.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  11. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    Can't post the latest check because i wasn't at the terminal on payday, which is Thursday---Direct deposit usually takes place Friday morning.

But will post as soon as i get the paper copy and it was $1,670.50 gross. Doing a combination of Niteliner and regular road work. Wasn't worth it as i had to endure some queen bee b.s. during the early portion of the week. May discuss that in detail when there is time.

Highlights of the Playlist for the past week were:

You may think it's cheezy/cliche----the epitome of 80's ness, but it kept me awake (you must sing along, scream if necessary) and where, i ask you, are you going to find guitar playing like that?

Clark Howard's podcast
    Clark Howard

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.