UPS Freight Diary:

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Russian Rabbit, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    How long your road runs usually are?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i'd say my average leg is about 120 miles.

Total miles for the night would be 410-510 average.

i'd say my longest leg ever was 257 miles. And the most miles i got in one night was 588---this was also the same night as the 257 leg.

i was getting a string of 234 legs but that seems to have dried up.

As you probably know, as soon as we get to a terminal we go on the clock. But doing all these shorter legs, having to breakdown/build sets (although sometimes the jockeys do it) it takes all of 14 hours to do 500 miles.

P.S. Last check i posted had low mileage because i was doing niteliner---had to fill in for someone because i'm Xtra-board.

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  4. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    1) Sorry it took so long to update: Very busy, running my ### off-----to the legal limit.
    In fact, last week was $1739----and that was doing niteliner bull's hit. Haven't recieved the paper check so can't post.
    But here's a recent one:
    [​IMG]

2) Some updates concerning new, true nicknames for terminals:

a) richmond = bichmond; First, this new, offical, name for the terminal is so true. Second, i will address the topic of estrogen poisioning and other unfortunate situations in the workplace as well as my thoughts on "diversity" when there is time.

b) Harristown = Grumpytown; Just one of my theories concerning this chaotic madhouse is---if you can't get laid, taking it out on others IS NOT the answer.

c) Baltimore = The dungeon; Dock is very dark. They need to get some lights in there, son. Also, restrooms are atrocious and unacceptable. Otherwise baltimore is ok.

Brooklyn is kind of dark too, but the unusual glow from the orange lights allows you to still see. Although the atmosphere on the dock is probably very different from most other docks due to this lighting scheme.

3) Trucks don't have enough caster.

4) Last weeks playlist was, among other things, and this kept me awake no matter how cheezy you think the selections were:

RATT - You Think You're Tough

a) Remember, the songs must be cranked and you must sing along (scream if necessary) to stay awake.
    b) i don't have time to explain, but i feel that either a song rocks, or it doesn't; i don't care who wrote or performed it or how they look. It either rocks, or it doesn't. This is all that matters.
    Generally music pops up randomly on my feed and i don't necessarily have time to be picky while driving.

Clark howard

The following, to me, and i think, for most people, was disturbing. i will probably stop recommending "true crime" type podcasts, but for now, if you're bored:
    In the Dark, Season 1 | Podcast | APM Reports

Cardfan89 Thanks this.
  5. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

UPDATE:
    i think these last two were niteliner bull's hit. i had to sub in for two drivers since i'm extra board. It could have it's advantages such as----if you want a very steady schedule---you'll start and end at pretty much the same times every night and be back at like 5:30-8:30 in the morn. Usually 7:30ish. Some like dockwork, others may not....

2) Me telling you what i listen to music-wise was stupid; All you need to know, if you need something to help keep you awake (and more on that very important topic later) is that you need something that requires some effort and some intensity (i.e., Steve Perry). Singing Puff the magic dragon or happy birthday is generally NOT going to keep you awake.

You have to crank it and really sing along.

3) i also remembered that i listened to this:
    https://atlantamonster.com/

It was friggin horrific, yet i couldn't stop listening and was captivated by it and addicted to it.....

My aim is stop recommending negative podcasts and only recommend positive ones like Clark Howard.

6. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    i have been too busy to post. i will post my checks asap. My YTD totals so far are pitiful; i'm STILL not driving a suburban, more on that later.

Until then, i have been saying that WE DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT YOU, OR YOUR FREIGHT; WE ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR MONEY AND NUMBERS. These following articles tend to confirm it:

https://jalopnik.com/how-ups-screwe...guy-out-of-10-00-1738255686?rev=1447443669335

Rob Dahm And UPS Come To An Agreement Over Rotorgate

Did UPS intentionally auction off Rob Dahm’s 4-Rotor engine on eBay ?

Internet wants justice over Rob Dahm’s 4-rotor UPS shipping snafu

If you buy something online and need to have it shipped freight, PLEASE do not use UPS freight.
    i know it's not always possible, but please request from the seller to NOT use UPS freight.

YES, this is coming from a UPS Freight employee! Why would i want to take money out of my own pocket? Because i give a dam about long-term customer satisfaction; If a customer gets burnt, do you think they are ever going to use us again? And, expect them to tell two friends, and those two friends will tell another and so on and so on, and meanwhile OD and FedEx have blown us away. But the butthead "managers" don't understand this.......

If you do have the misfortune of having something shipped by us, i feel for you, because it will probably be broken, slow to come to you---if at all, because there's a good chance we'll lose it. And, don't bother with the appointment BS, because we WILL be late. Don't bother taking off from work---we WILL be late.

WE DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU OR YOUR FREIGHT. WE ONLY CARE ABOUT YOUR MONEY AND NUMBERS.

If you try to make a claim on damages, read the above sentence.

i will not list things i've been told by managers that will confirm everything i've stated here. This ain't no joke.

i think R+L is pretty good when it comes to residential shipments.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Look, I feel I should advise you that since you posted this, do NOT post ANY numbers or anything that could possibly be used to identify you such as a truck number. It could very well come back to bite you. I’ve had it happen to me once, which is why I react harshly to management showing up here on our site.

I don’t want to see that happen to anyone else.

The Shadow and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  8. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    i understand the risk, even before i started this whole thread. And, i appreciate the concern.

But i'm not worried about it; This thread is a totally 100% honest and unbiased diary concerning UPS freight.

UPS is actually kind of/ more open and accepting than most companies as far as employees discussing pay, working conditions etc. to people outside of the company. There are some internal documents, (which THOSE i can't show you), that actually state this.

Meanwhile, still running tail off

2) Small pack has apparently lost a package i ordered last week.................how am i not surprised? :mad:

3) CRANK THE S OUT OF THIS TO WAKE YOURSELF UP if you get a little tired while driving at night:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  9. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Well now you will get some time off. They are cleaning out their ltl system because they don't know how the contract vote will result in a strike or not. Sorry guys, but this happens sometimes in trucking.

10. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i saw a ups pup on its side last night. prob your box. and yes, just one pup. in the middle of the interstate.

11. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Other LTL carriers will just get more busy. Thank you UPS

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.