UPS Freight Diary:

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Russian Rabbit, Jan 3, 2016.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Yeah, It's a rough lifestyle. I did it for five straight years at ABF. Hence why I'm no longer with ABF.

Banker and Dennixx Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Guys on here complain about OTR but freight, be it union or not is a challenge most can't grip.
    I started w CF in 78 northern CA.
    Didn't last as a junior driver.
    Got on w Wonder Bread, another union gig w similar work rules.
    Went otr for a dozen years till 92 and got on with brown.
    Me and another guy were given f.t. opportunities at the bottom.
    Loved the pay but the regimen and runs wore on me, not to mention a 5 to 1 management ratio..lol.
    I continued for a year but was convinced freight hauling wasn't for me.
    Got on w a private union carrier across from the hub and thought I would work it till retirement.

Along comes the recession in 2007-2008 and I was looking for work again.
    Well Conway was paying low 20s per hour so I got on.
    Didn't take long to figure out I hated it..seeing that same coke can on the roadside each night, not to mention equipment, pay and attitude was nowhere near previous employment.
    Got on w/a cryogenic private carrier near 11 yrs ago.
    I gotta say I believe freight hauling, whether you're p&d or line, is some of the most demanding driving out there.
    Hats off and happy holidays to those who enjoy and excel at it.

Bob Dobalina, jmz, McUzi and 4 others Thank this.
  4. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    My last job (ABF) was demanding. My current job is a vacation in comparison.

Of course there were things I didn't exactly like about it at first, but now that a couple years has gone by, things have gotten better.

Dennixx and Banker Thank this.
  5. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    You and I have a very similar work history. When I started at CF I was barely 21 and would have driven those big trucks for free, but I didn’t. Looking back at the great jobs and the variety I have had I wouldn’t change much if I could. I wish I still felt the same towards trucking as I did 30 something years ago, but it is still a great way to earn a living. Being an owner op has ruined me as I will never be able to work for anyone again, at least as a driver. Maybe I can be an employee again when I am just killing time, probably a couple hours a day at the local hardware store.

dwells40, Dennixx and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  6. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Yeah, I am 16 years in, and this job scared the living crap out of me when I started it. Haha I did not enjoy it for several years.

7. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I remember getting to pull doubles with a road tractor on occasion. I had to hide the smile on my face as I didn’t want the crusty old Teamsters knowing I actually was having fun. They were already bitter and jaded and I wasn’t yet.

Dennixx and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  8. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I had that feeling at Yellow for a bit. And then the financial troubles started.

9. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I never had the whiskers for joints while in CA.
    Wasn't till the early 90s w brown that I learned to, but for the most part they built and broke the sets.
    Worked for a department store pulling sets to Wisconsin and Dakotas doing double drops but got paid by the hour.
    Conway paid 11 minutes to make or break..not easy on the ice and snow..
    Was probably 3 times in my 45 yrs I thought about buying my own but after running numbers could never justify the commitment, although I get the satisfaction that comes from running your own business successfully. After I clocked out I wanted to be done.
    Been a teamster for about 30 yrs and it's provided a good living.
    The thing I enjoy most with this gig is the variety, never the same run, road or town twice in the week.

McUzi and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  10. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I knew I liked carhaul, but I grew tired of working for others. It worked out great for me, but it isn’t for everyone. I don’t work on it every weekend but I do stay on top of maintenance. Any heavy maintenance I hire done, by a shop that specializes in carhaulers.

McUzi, LtlAnonymous and Dennixx Thank this.
  11. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    That week was a meet point. My meet driver was there everytime, so getting a lot of clock time was impossible.
    Except Friday, which was double time plus holiday pay. I got to my turn and he wasn't there. Took my lunch and took a nap for an hour and a half. I wake up to dispatch calling me. They said...um your meet driver still hasn't even left yet. He broke down. Can you just bring that load back? I'm like of course I can!
    Paid me double time mileage plus 8 hours holiday pay to drive 300 miles out, take a long nap and bring the load back! They ended putting it on the rail. It wasn't hot so there was no rush.
    Not the first time this has happened. I once did a 535 mile meet and turn. Brought an empty to the meet point. There were like 50 drivers there. I was the last one left. Dispatch calls me and tells me there is no one to meet me. They sent out too many drivers. Take the empty back! Lol

Sounds like your buddy has a great run! Although JEFIL is a little tight! That should be around 3k miles a week for him?

Banker and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.