UPS Freight Truckload

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by UPSFTL, Feb 22, 2015.

1. UPSFTL

UPSFTL Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2015
    I've been working for UPS Freight Truckload for a while now and thought I'd share some input from my own experience. For starters the truckload division of UPS can be hit or miss, and rather or not you like the job will vary from account to account since allot of the work is dedicated. My particular account is tolerable... Like myself and some others, we naively associated the "UPS" name in UPS Freight Truckload with everything good.

UPS Freight Truckload is the non-union side of UPS, and if you hire on thinking after a year of service you will be able to transfer to the union side, all I can say is good luck! The rules are out of this world! At UPSFTL you will see there is the right way, wrong way, and UPS way. You will eat, live and breathe UPSFTL, it's like some sadistic occult. There is discrimination from our union counterparts, I never admit to working for truckload when a brown truck is around.

Equipment seems to be okay, it's all rental not much else. Pay is okay too, no complaints. Rules, did I mention rules? They are as STRICT as they are many! Ultimately, nature of the work, pay, schedule, hours, equipment, management, etc, etc all varies from account to account. I can try to answer questions, but end up totally wrong since this information only applies to my account. This is more or less a guide to warn those to be cautious when associating the name "UPS" with this division.

All-in-all I can honestly say I'm content. I'm not getting rich, but I do okay, however, I am young, single with no family and have low overhead costs. One of my co-workers on the other hand says he's not making enough. Not a great job, but okay...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Could you possibly give some examples of the STRICT rules that USPF has?

4. TomOfTx

TomOfTx Road Train Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Friendswood, TX
    Prior to joining Walmart Transportation in 2013, I was a driver and supervisor for UPS Freight Truckload overseeing the American Honda Motors account in Irving, TX for 7 years. UPS Freight and UPS Package are two very different operations, even though they are both a part of UPS. While there may have been some strict rules in place, such as no use of a cell phone while driving or idling the truck, there was no mechanism in place for any type of enforcement of these rules. If the customer was happy with the service they were receiving, drivers were not involved in preventable accidents or getting dinged with CSA violations, all was good.

I enjoyed my time with UPS Freight. Even after leaving and moving on to Walmart Transportation, I still remain close friends with my former boss Judy.

5. Chaps

Chaps Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2014
    South Carolina
    Other than union, what's the difference in UPS freight & the other UPS divisions? Work wise? Just curious!

6. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I know what you are saying when you say the rules and safety managers are ridiculous. Not that it is good to operate in an unsafe manner but when you have peon managers who have to justify there jobs off your back it can get tough. I have a few friends who are with UPS package delivery. One has been there almost 20 years and hates it with a passion for that very reason. Pretty much all the fun is gone from the job. Some guys get in the door and think they have died and gone to heaven pay and bennies but it doesn't take long to start to wonder if its worth it. I'm sure a few company men will disagree with me here. Guess its all personal opinion. I've always been very productive at any job I've had but I also like to be left alone to do my job. A happy worker is a productive worker.

Radman Thanks this.
  7. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Yup, people get brain washed on how great the pay is. My buddy been at UPS Parcel(highest paying side Ups) for 15yrs. He hates his job too. They treat you like a robot. When your clocked in their getting every dime outta you. I'm surprise TL treats their drivers the same way with the pay being low. All that stress of being on tight ship is not good for your health being worried all the time. That's why I'm not gonna be dropping the app at UPSF anytime soon even though I've heard drivers making 90k or more. I rather have a better work environment for less money.

Derailed Thanks this.
  8. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    The thing is I would have no problem giving them every dime they are paying me, but get rid of the micro management. It really reflects in the way some of these UPS package delivery guys drive to, always trying to beat the clock but safety first LOL, as long as it doesn't cut into profits.

9. common30

common30 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2013
    i have been with ups pacage for over 2 years now and i love it.most easy job i ever have and i drove for lots of companys.is like everywere you want some money you got to work for.i always hear my buddy don't like so whos that buddy cause far as i know at least where i,m working evrybody loves it.

Tanker805 and iamchrisstone Thank this.
  10. common30

common30 Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2013
    i mean over a year

11. UPSFTL

UPSFTL Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Again, the job, at least for my account isn't bad as I find it to be tolerable. Just to throw it out there I never meant for it to look like I was complaining about rules or anything. I just thought I'd give a heads up to those considering UPSFTL division. My best advice would be to not associate the name UPS with all that's good, I see it happen all the time and folks drop. It's not a bad job if you want to earn a living. As long as you do what they ask which they will never ask you to do anything illegal of unsafe, you'll do fine. That's not to say your account won't suck... I've spoke to some drivers from other accounts and, wow...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.