Ups freight

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by trein444, Feb 6, 2017.

1. trein444

trein444 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2011
    What's the difference between line haul driver and full time road driver. The description makes it sound like the same thing but I wanted some one who works there's opionion

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Road Driver and Linehaul is the same thing. It's just the title of the position you applied for. Most LTL companies will list their Linehaul position as Road Driver, just like they would list their P&D position as City Driver.

Pharroh336, Big Don and trein444 Thank this.
  4. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Make sure that the job(s) are both with UPS Freight, not UPS package. Unless that is what you want.

Other than that, linehaul and full time road driver should basically mean the same thing here at UPS freight UNLESS they mean OTR road driver.

In that case, you may want to investigate further, because yes in this case "road driver" means something different, much different than linehaul driver.

Pharroh336 Thanks this.
  5. hoosier volunteer

hoosier volunteer Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Ringgold Ga
    It could be ups freight (line haul) and ups freight truckload (road driver).

6. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    One thing I never knew, is what a feeder driver is. I think its a parcel job, right? Do they only run the doubles from warehouse to warehouse, kinda like a ups freight linehaul driver? Or do they do city work as well, like going to different factories that have dropped trailers?

7. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Feeders pull doubles, triples, and long boxes to other warehouses. Lots of out and back. The small cities may take one trailer to one location then another. Usually they'll pick up another loaded set and return home. This is not UPSF. I worked at parcel for a couple of years when I started out.

8. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    Ok. So I know like most LTLs. Ups freight has city and road drivers. So at ups parcel, everyone is just called feeder drivers? No matter what you do?

9. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Feeders are the tractor trailer drivers. Package car drivers are who you see delivering around the neighborhood during the day. I can't comment on UPSF but id imagine city is like any other LTL P&D and the latter is more linehaul.

10. trein444

trein444 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2011
    thank you everyone

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  11. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I have a buddy who is a feeder (Parcel) driver, and he does both. He starts at 7pm and does a switch at a customer we go to on the west side, brings his loaded trailer back, then takes a set of doubles up to Toledo and brings a set back. He gets paid hourly for the whole night.

Buckeye91 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.