UPS O/O getting $1.20/mile

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Midnightrider909, Aug 17, 2017.

1. 2 CHAINS

2 CHAINS Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2018
    My dad did . Then a grocery company that was non union came in bought the Grocery warehouse where he worked. He lost his job . They fought and striked to keep their union but to no avail he lost his job. He wasnt willing to relocate because he was a farmer to we had 1000s of acres to plant. In the end when the union is done with you they dont care. Did he get his union dues back of course not.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 2 CHAINS

Sep 8, 2018
    That same grocery warehouse now hires temp help. Yrs yrs ago it was a Super Foods warehouse

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Maybe so, maybe not. But a bad check in a union company. Is still better than a good check. At MOST (did you see u said most?) Non union companies.

5. mover man

Feb 21, 2010
    Can't defend thier pay. Anymore than can justify upper level managers pay. Vs drivers pay at ant LARGE firm

6. mover man

Feb 21, 2010
    So blame the union. Cause non union companies never get bought and sold. But if they did, the workers would never get screwed. Also I'm sure your dad, did not enjoy his above average pay while he was working there.

7. 2 CHAINS

Sep 8, 2018
    I never said i didnt like the union . My point is when they're done with you they thru you under the bus. Your dues are their to protect you from everybody except the union

8. Mdbasa

Mdbasa Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Ups surcharge is .35 and he gets bout .60 cent off gallon

9. Serriaman1

Serriaman1 Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2019
    I recently signed onto UPS as an O/O. I get $1.15/mi plus FS@.29/mi depending on fuel national average. In addition I get .43/gal discount on fuel at most fuel stops. That figures out to about $2.61/gal and $1.44/mi on freight. I have Zero trailer expenses, no Cargo Insurance, National Breakdown number to call, discounts on Bobtail, Physical Damage, Occupational Accident Insurance. My loads are pre-loaded; dispatched UPS terminal to UPS terminal over 90% of the time so I'm not wasting my time talking to brokers and arguing over rates, detention time, layover pay I do not deal with getting unloaded/loaded, or deal with loaders/unloaders who damage my trailer or freight, or damage claims for improperly loaded products. I get direct deposit on settlements received via TripPak Express next business day and same cost on Tires thru National accounts as UPS company pays.
    I ran spot market for decades as an O/O and its' fine for a great amount of O/O who honestly know what they are doing, and there are a lot of good O/O's who understand how to run a good operation in trucking. For me I just decided to take control of my Gross yearly income, get away from fluctuating Spot Market rates and unethical brokers messing me out of honestly earned money; most are good, honest people; but it doesn't take too many to hurt you financially and rub you the wrong way.
    No job is perfect, every situation for working has its' own drawbacks. But so far this has been pretty good for me. Hope this clears up some of the confusion about why someone would choose to work as an O/O for UPS.
    Serriaman

Gbc and 9417 Thank this.
  10. Mdbasa

Mdbasa Light Load Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Yes it does makes good biz sense

11. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I saw a UPS day cab doing 76 MPH last night. I wasnt sure if they forgot to govern it or what.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.