UPS P&D to Linehaul

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by coastietruckin', Apr 3, 2018.

1. coastietruckin'

coastietruckin' Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Hi all,

Just throwing this question out to you guys for some guidance. I was offered a job with UPS P&D pending my road test and medical. I feel very lucky and grateful for this opportunity since I am a brand new driver with no experience. However, I would like to move over to linehaul at some point down the road. My question is, do you think it will be hard for me to move over to linehaul since I won't have any OTR experience, and would only have the experience I gain from doing p&d? Would I be better served if I just went with a good training outfit for otr now, and then apply to ups linehaul (or saia/OD/etc) at a later date?

I feel that this opportunity is almost too good to pass up. It's a career job with the union. Pay starting out isn't crazy, but there's plenty of OT to supplement until I start teaching top rate in a couple years. I'm 36 now, so I don't have a whole lot of time left before I want to settle in with a company who I can make a nice career with. So my decision to go otr now to get my experience up and better position myself for a linehaul job on a couple years is pretty big. Or do you think taking the ups job now will still have me set-up pretty good to still get into linehaul down the road a couple years from now?

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Get in now. It won't be hard to go linehaul at a later point with them.
    There's no reason to go to some dbag otr company.
    Don't let this opportunity pass you by.

4. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    That's what I'm thinking. Jump on this opportunity now. I just know the linehaul guys make some good money, although they're running 4-500 miles a day. Just want to put myself in the best spot possible down the road.

5. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    UPS freight I’m guessing?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  6. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    It is. Union gig, uniforms, the whole deal.

7. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Take this opportunity now and you will.

tscottme and coastietruckin' Thank this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Do it. Whoever tries to talk you out of this has been smoking the good stuff. It’s a good opportunity with a stable company, and you can always switch to linehaul later.

Cardfan89, Sho Nuff, tscottme and 2 others Thank this.
  9. lagbrosdetmi

lagbrosdetmi Box Monkey

Jul 1, 2014
    Detroit
    Without hesitation, get on board now. Do your time, build your seniority and in a few years you'll be set for your career.

Then when amazon goes private fleet and puts ups out of business, you can be first in line to get on board with them.

10. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    Copy that. So not having otr exp won't be a roadblock, you don't think?

11. coastietruckin'

Dec 28, 2015
    Southern NJ
    I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought of when amazon is going to launch their own fleet. They take in 50% of all internet business for Pete's sake. Unless Uncle Sam steps in and busts them up, I can see them rolling out a fleet of semi-autonomous trucks with some drooling goober riding co-pilot in a robot truck playing video games all day, lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.