Ups seasonal to casual

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Buffalonytrucker92, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    You darned old street hire. Some of the “Lifers” didn’t like us street hires but eventually we outnumbered them. Most people didn’t care as we all had to have our first day in brown. Some on the sort unloading trucks and others driving them. I came in the door with 15 years of safe driving and the HR Manager told me I was one of the least experienced she had ever hired. Things have changed quite a bit since 2002.

LtlAnonymous, MACK E-6 and McUzi Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Was it the time that was the issue, or the TYPE of experience you had?

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Basically they had only been hiring Street Hires for a few years and many were 25-30 Teamsters who left Roadway and a few other Teamster companies when UPS started running teams in Louisville. So I with 15 years of tractor trailer experience was still a rookie compared to most of the guys she had hired.

5. Danny707

Danny707 Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2019
    So you still have be clean shaven for a full time seasonal job ? Especially for Linehaul the terminal to terminal gig ?

6. seQJR

seQJR Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Ohio
    Yes, but if you have “irritation” after shaving you can get away if you visit a doctor

LtlAnonymous and Danny707 Thank this.
  7. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    I see many drivers with beards at UPS...they not as strict as they used to be

8. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    You can get a doctor's note. Probably a third of our drivers have one.

9. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    ill agree, i got a number from a casher from a place i stop at frequently..... was quite flattered

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  10. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I was hired with 12 years of experience, and I am still one of the least experienced people from my hiring class.

Then you move forward about two classes, and I would have been the most experienced. And then you move forward a couple more classes, and I had more experience than four of them combined.

Strange times indeed.

We have weeded out a lot of the bad fits, so I'm happy to say that the incident rate has again fallen. But things were tenuous for a while there.

Banker Thanks this.
  11. Jjay

Jjay Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2019
    What is a typical day for a feeder driver I am thinking of switching over from fed ex ground hauling doubles. We only go to fed ex ground yards and drop and hook up a new set to go to another fed ex yard I hook up doubles about 8 times a night is ups the same job just way better pay?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.