UPS

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by Trucker42BC, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Trucker42BC

Trucker42BC Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    Hey guys I went to UPS for a tour as a package handler part time with the intent as working there for a long time hopefully being able to drive a feeder

I have 18 months of OTR experience I asked the guy how long would it take for me to drive the feeders if I start next week and I already have my cdl. He told me "on your 31st day here come see me and we can talk we are always looking for drivers here".

I have my 1 on 1 interview with him tomorrow night.

What are there requirements based on driving record?

I got a accident driving a truck back in August 2016 but never got a ticket.

Zigzag777 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwesttrucker

Midwesttrucker Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    midwestern state
    Welcome to UPS. Ive been here for almost three years. With 18 months experience you would qualify for the requirements of an off the street hire. Who are you referring to when you said you "asked the guy". Was it the feeder manager, human resources. You really need to find out how your local supplement for your area would allow you to come up to feeders from package handling. In fact I would call the local that represents feeders because after that 31st day your qualified in package and thats fine but you are going to be behind a lot of guys who have 20-25 years ahead of you in seniority who want that job as well. Feeders is the crown jewel for union work at UPS so personally I wouldn't waste any time being a package handler you already have the license. See if they will just hire you directly into feeders as an off the street hire.

Just understand that everything at UPS is based on seniority. You will get the crappy feeder runs, crappy hours, etc...Its just starting to become a good job for me. The first few years were very tough and I was the bottom guy. You will get forced on a certain run and you'll just have to suck it up. Oh yeah and one more thing welcome to the night shift. Were glad to have you.

Zigzag777 Thanks this.
  4. DnPresident

DnPresident Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I worked as a feeder driver (seasonal) for UPS in 2015 for about 6 weeks at $30 hr and overtime after the 8th hour. I already had doubles experience but still had to go through a week of training which I actually enjoyed. The trainer had been there for over 30 years and we got along great.

Not sure if you'd actually have a set schedule or be on call but I'd say you'll be on call. In a typical day they might call me at 7am Monday morning, send me from Lexington, Ky to Indianapolis with a set, drop the set there and pickup a container in the Indy yard, take the container to a Cincinnati rail yard, drop it and pickup a 53' box from a yard 5 miles down the road and head back to Lexington, drop that trailer, notify dispatch your in the yard and if you have time left and they need you to continue to work then you stay and do whatever you have time to do.

They might tell you to be ready to go in the morning so you get plenty of sleep and up at 6am waiting on a call but they dont call until 10pm that night and they send you on the longest run you legally have time to run and it rains hard the whole way lol... Probably one of the very best overall driving jobs in the U.S. overall if you can get on a regular run. I would love to have gotten on there full time and still hope to.

You have to have it in your head and understand that being on call and flex can be tough on ever getting descent sleep and if you have a family can be tough but if you can get through that part and not have any accidents, you'll be well taken care of. You might not be needed on Thursday and they say be ready to go Friday morning, we'll call you but they don't call until 10:30 Friday night.

Midwesttrucker and Zigzag777 Thank this.
  5. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    /|\
    What they said!

Nothing good is easy, and a crappy run is better than no run.
    Good luck!

6. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Just tape a sign on the dash that says "$30 per hour!" Good luck!

Zigzag777 Thanks this.
  7. Midwesttrucker

Midwesttrucker Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    midwestern state
    He won't be taping a $30.00 per hour sign for four years until he is out of progression and working at top rate. With patience he will get there. The key is patience and LOTS of it.

8. DnPresident

DnPresident Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I dunno exactly but think it's right around $35 hr top out... They made it clear that If I was lucky enough to be hired on permanent after my seasonal work, I would've had to go all the way back to around $18hr and put the time in... Although not top out, even at $30 it's awesome when that 8th hour hits and your making $45 hr... It's a beautiful thing!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.