UPSF in Central PA?

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by JediTrucker, Aug 7, 2012.

1. JediTrucker

JediTrucker Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Anyone have any experience driving for UPSF in either York, PA or Mechanicsburg? I have applied with one of the locations for a road driver position and was wondering what the culture is like there and just kind of the general treatment of employees.

Also, York seems to be a smaller terminal, whereas Mechanicsburg is a bit larger. Would it be easier to move-up at a larger terminal? Would larger terminals receive newer, updated equipment before smaller ones? Also, while they say they're hiring for road driver, is it just as likely that after getting hired they would use me as a city driver? Lastly, are all terminals union?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sebo

sebo Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    camarillo,ca
    i cant help with the specific area but i can try with other questions. From what i ve learnt all the terminals are union not all drivers are union though, i think the team drivers are not union. IF you re road driver you re road driver and nothing else, the city driver sometimes can feel in for a road if there is a need, never seen it the other way around, i do road sometimes when we have extra freight or fill in for some guys that are off and i m a p&d. Moving up the ladder it depends on the terminal, i m the youngest at my terminal so when most of the guys retire i ll have still plenty of years ahead of me, and we re i d say are medium terminal casue there are few smaller ones i know of and so far its not too bad i m at the bottom but things are getting better and better.i cant really complain i m paying my dues that how i see it, i scored that job with little experience but i think ve proved my boss that he made a right decision

4. JediTrucker

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks for answering some of my questions, Sebo. It sounds like you're happy there at your terminal. How long have you been there and what was the starting pay like?

It sounds like everyone in LTL would be union, but the truck-load part of UPSF would not. This being the case, what is the benefits package like? Is it full medical coverage, like the package side, with a pension after 30 years of service?

I'm in my early 30's, so I'm sure there would be some other guys there that are younger than me whom have quite a few years of seniority already. Could make it challenging at times I'm sure, but this is all part of a career change for me and LTL seems to be the way to go.

5. emac130

emac130 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I see that you're from Cali, what is the starting pay for UPSF in your area?

6. JediTrucker

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Sebo, thanks for your help!

Looks like the position in York, PA is definitely going to be an option for me, provided everything goes well with the road test, physical, background check, etc. The interview went well.

I think I can manage getting through the first few years as the new guy as I have a couple of ways to supplement in slower times. The only downside I can see right now is the York terminal does not have ANY daytime line-haul runs. So even after working there 20+ years or so, it may always be night driving only. I do not mind working nights, but not sure if that's the way I'll feel when I'm 45-50 years old (It would at least be nice to have the option). However, I guess it's possible they may add some daytime runs at some point, I don't know. The Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg terminal does have day runs, as it's a much larger hub with about 250 drivers on the road board, but that's about an hour commute for me, one-way.

7. DOTrevenuepatrol

DOTrevenuepatrol Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    Im a road driver out of Richfield, I sometimes get to Mechanicsburg but not to often. Ive heard it is very difficult to move up there with more extra drivers then actual runs, many runs have been moved to contractors or common carriers and this winter the bottom drivers will more then likely be sitting at home. I only know one driver out of York and he does the Pittsburgh mini hub (works dock in Pittsburgh for 2 or 3 hours), he has no compliants but Im not sure how the bottom guys are doing there as nothing is guaranteed.

Starting pay is okay .38 cpm and $15 and change until seniority after 90 days, you get a slight bump to .41 cpm and $16 and change after that. 43.5 after a year, 48.5 after 2 and currently full rate is 65.5 and $25 and change for all non driving activities. Many drivers make 90k or more on scheduled runs but most have been there 10 years to do that, but we do have guys who just hit there 3 years and they will make 70k or more. I made 32k my first year which was 9 months and did alot of sitting at home. Pension is still there after 30 for now, medical benefits are excellent. Any more questions let me know, Good luck!

8. JediTrucker

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    That is understandable. I'm sure managers overcompensate when it gets busy, then when things slow down they have an overabundance of drivers and dock workers. Mechanicsburg is out of the question anyway -- I'm not commuting an hour to work and not looking to move into that area.

The terminal manager I interviewed with said they were busy right now and that I'd definitely be working -- probably why they're hiring. He also mentioned when things get slow they sometimes send guys up to Mechanicsburg and have them work out of there, if needed. No guarantees on anything, of course. It will be risky at first and I'm not expecting to make more than 40k a year with them my first few years, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make up the difference with other work.

How does the on-call process work? It will be difficult to maintain part-time/supplemental work outside of UPSF if I'm constantly unsure of when I may be called in. I can be flexible, but only to a point.

I wonder if most runs out of York are mini hubs. The terminal manager mentioned going out to Pittsburg, Richmond, Newburgh, etc... Also, a new run into Baltimore, which is only about 50 miles from York. I guess it's basically anything within a 200-250 mile radius.

Thanks.

9. DOTrevenuepatrol

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    I am not sure if most runs out of York are mini hub, even at smaller terminals usually no more then half the runs are minis. The clock time is nice so it adds up. The Pittsburgh mini hub guy makes excellent money at full rate.

The on call process is fairly simple, you get a call 2 or more hours before you have to report to work. If there is anyone under you and they have 2 or more runs going out you get an option. You can be called on your 10 hour break to go back out.

If you can get the job I would take it, where else can you make almost 70cpm in 3 years along with a pension and excellent insurance? Winter will be slow, last winter I did some odd jobs to make money and managed okay. Let me know how it goes, good luck.

10. JediTrucker

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    So it definitely would be difficult to try and maintain something part time during the week, being on-call. And I guess if I go off and work a few hours at my current job while I'm supposed to be getting a 10 hour break I could run into some problems.

I had my road test today in a very new International, pulling doubles for the first time. Had no problems there. Also, did the physical and drug test. I'm basically hired, as it sounds, provided the background check is clean, which it should be.
    I had my license suspended for excessive speeding when I was 16, in 1996, which still shows on my MVR. That's really the only reason I could see for them not hiring me at this point, but they told me it wasn't an issue.

11. DOTrevenuepatrol

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    Are they still doing the backround or did you get the green light?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.