UPSF in Central PA?

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by JediTrucker, Aug 7, 2012.

1. JediTrucker

JediTrucker Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Got the official word on Thursday that everything came back clean, so I'm hired. The next road driver class starts on the 10th and it sounds like that runs all week, then I'll be with a trainer/mentor for a week at my terminal.

So I was told that I will need either black or brown boots that are able to be polished -- I would rather wear black. What do most guys tend to wear, if there is a common style, and do they need to be safety toe? I just want something comfortable and not too heavy, at least for the warmer months.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DOTrevenuepatrol

DOTrevenuepatrol Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    I believe you will need steel toed boots, mine are black and look more casual then a work boot. Every guy seems to wear something a bit different. Good luck with orientation, if you have questions let me know.

JediTrucker Thanks this.
  4. JediTrucker

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks, DOT. First day of orientation at Harrisburg went great. There are only 4 of us in there and the trainer is a really laid back and friendly guy. I'm the only road driver in the group for the York terminal, the other three will be working out of Harrisburg. Apparently York only has about 6 or 7 road drivers, so it is no doubt a very small terminal with only a handful of runs. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

5. JediTrucker

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    About done with all the orientation stuff and found out I'll be starting with a trainer on Monday night. I also found out that every run out of my terminal is a mini-hub run. We're an end of line terminal, very small, and for some reason we just don't get any long out and back or meet and turn runs. It also looks like the city guys share tractors with the road drivers. Some things that don't look so great about working at this type of terminal. On the upside, there's no chance of having to do a sleeper team run and there won't be 200+ guys on the board ahead of me. Not sure exactly what to expect yet.

6. JediTrucker

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Going to be running YOR to HRS and back to YOR all night on Monday. Looks like it will probably be about 3 total round trips at least, so I should get plenty of practice hooking and unhooking a set. Since it's less than 50 miles it will be all hourly so it'd be nice if I get to stick around for more than 8 hours and get some OT.

I don't think this will be a bad gig as long as I can get the hours, don't have any accidents, and can get into the habit of all the protocol and policies. I'm most nervous about missing something on the t-con(?) sheet, like overlooking a trailer number, seal, or hazmat. Also, just remembering to go alternate routes for table 1 hazmats (we have tunnels between here and PTG). A little nervous about working the dock at a mini-hub, too -- I have no forklift experience and judging by the look of the one I was on for about 10 minutes on Friday, it looks like they often play bumper cars. It just seems like there's a lot of opportunity to really screw up since there's such an overwhelming amount of info in such a short period of time. I plan to go through all this slowly at first until I get it all down.

They really stress going slow at first and to ask whenever you're unsure of something. I plan to take full advantage of that, especially in the first 45 days.

7. sebo

sebo Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    camarillo,ca
    safety is number one policy here, so just take it easy and you ll pick it up quickly, pretty soon it will be your second nature

8. DOTrevenuepatrol

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    Jedi, are things still going okay? Just take your time the first few months and things will go fine. Are you filing in now with extra runs only? Get your 3 years in and you are set.

9. Hammer71

Hammer71 Light Load Member

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    NBR driver here and agree with all previous posted, stick it out no matter how difficult as it pays off in the end.

10. DOTrevenuepatrol

Feb 21, 2011
    The Buckeye
    You laid off yet in NBR? Or are you in the city?

11. Hammer71

Hammer71 Light Load Member

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    Close but not yet, that Storm actually helped us out a bit as it tore up long island, moonachie and carterette, we've been picking up the slack. How long this will last is the million dollar question right now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.