Uranium Dirt

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by speedyk, Oct 28, 2019.

1. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Anyone hauled uranium tailings? Not sure if tailings is the right term, hauling from a dumped mine pile --that's supposed to not have much radiation left-- in end dumps.

Told the receiver scans every truck coming in. Reminds me of hauling scrap to Sparrow's Point, used to get scanned going in and of course the railroad never told us what was in the gons, just "scrap metal".

I don't want to be J. Frank Parnell...

homeskillet Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You never know the levels of radiation, better to check than not to check.

buddyd157 and speedyk Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In steelmaking radioactivity is bad.

Everything made on the planet since roughly 1952 in terms of metal has some form of post Atomic Age Radiation in it.

There was a German Battle Fleet that was scuttled at surrender end of WW1 in UK. I understand they may have harvested non nuclear steel out of of those ships to build such things as hospital nuclear medicine rooms which cannot have radiation in the floor, walls and ceiling to mess with the devices within. You need pre 1945 steel where you can source it to have that quality without the post Atomic age contamination. Such metal would be very very valuable.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The other thing to keep in mind is transport index, which IIRC must not exceed a level of 50.

speedyk Thanks this.
  6. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    I wonder if I can deduct a Geiger Counter from my taxes if I hire. IRS will probably say I can use it around the house for something.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you show that you haul uranium then absolutely.

get a GOOD scanner. Something that reads in Retogen if possible. 15 or so is background from nature etc. Anything upwards of 100 is something hot. 500 and beyond will kill you in a hour or so. Usually by vomiting etc.

I think they use a different measuring unit of radiation these days, Im not current. I had a counter on me for a very long time. And still keep a few squares in the wallet. They have not turned black. Where I am I get a awful lot of medical patients who are being treated for cancer with huge doses of Xrays etc.

speedyk Thanks this.
  8. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    Where did you get the squares? I take it that they turn color if exposed. Looks like I'm going to give it a try, wondering where I can get something quickly, next few days.

In an old book called Black Range Tales, which is about prospecting around the Silver City, NM area, there's a recounting of a time two men entered a cave and found that when they held their arms a certain way they could see their bones. The writer, who was sheriff of Silver City, had a weak leg from an injury and an improper set; he was able to see that he was held up by a narrow sliver of bone on that side. There's an excerpt here that includes that...
    1882: Except from Black Range Tales - Subterranean Bases

“‘The flashes kept on. One of my legs had been badly broken some years before, and it still gave me much trouble. I got the idea that since we were able to see through the fish in the pool we might be able to see through our bodies. Stripping off my clothing, I pointed out the weak spot and asked Cousin Jack to watch it during a flash.
    “’”Jimmie, old son,” he exclaimed, “at that point your bone looks as if it’s hanging together by a cobweb.”
    “‘Cousin Jack now wanted me to look for a bullet in his body that had never been found by the doctors. He said he sometimes got a pain in his shoulder, and he suspected the bullet was there, though it had entered his body near his heart.
    “‘Sure enough! When he had pulled off his clothing the flash showed the flattened lead against his shoulder bone as plainly as if it lay in my hand. I marked the spot with an indelible pencil he dug out of his pocket, and later on the bullet was cut out by an army surgeon.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Protect yourself. There's a provision with the government for men that worked getting the yellow cake out of the mines in N.M. It's very dangerous stuff and the government doesn't have a clue on what to expect from long time exposure.

speedyk Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There was a man in Hiroshima at Ground zero hit by both radiation and extreme light. He reported that he could see the bones in his hand. Trying to shield his eyes. No record is made if he lived or died.

I would have to assume that if one is hit with enough radiation to see own bones or another's then there isnt much that can be done for them.

Thats all I know really, other than weapons like the modern Sarmat from the Russians and what it can do airburst and ground burst etc

The squares and radiation stuff I used to visit years ago resolves to this site I think out of Texas.

They have simplified operations since the early 2000's when they made other things available.

The main thing for us to keep in mind that if there is a nuclear disaster or attack there will be three zones set up. ABC, A is closed zone no one in no one out. Anyone alive in that zone will die in it's own time. B is rescue for 24 hours and then closed pernamently while C intercepts anyone trying to get out and contains them as well as prevents people from going in like parents looking for kids etc.

NukeAlert-ER

speedyk Thanks this.
  11. speedyk

Apr 8, 2015
    That is the concern. In some ways the job is too good to be true, but I need it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.