US mail contractors

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Graymist, Jun 18, 2009.

1. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Well I put mine in my HSA by choice. That way it is used for my direct health and welfare.
    I don't feel I should be FORCED to accept the companies choice of a 401k company. That's why employees across all industries ELECT or not to be a part of their company's 401k provider.
    I don't know of any research that shows how many postal contractors use forced 401k and how many don't.
    Look I won't change your mind and you won't change mine. It's all good.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mailman59

mailman59 Light Load Member

May 16, 2013
    The health and welfare varies by contract number. just because others that originate the same location you do, doesn't mean all who haul mail from that location get the same H&W rate. I have seen H&W rates vary from 470 to 532

4. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    I've been working for a mail contractor for a few months and have not seen a $.01 for HW. Was told by a driver it goes into 401K, but haven't received a 401K statement either.
    I know I should ask the TM, but don't want to be the guy that asks too many questions. Need this job just long enough so I can get hired at a good LTL.
    Pay is just over $20/h, 30-35 hours a week and that's just not enough for me.
    Does anyone know if they should be paying HW from day one or after some time?

5. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    From day one.
    You need to check on your 401k. Find out company it is with and how to access online so you can keep track. More than one company has burnt mail haulers on that forced 401k. Also it should still be on your pay statement how much went into ypur 401k .

6. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I would definitely ask about it.The hours is a bad point of working for mail contractor,I remember when I worked for MCA many years back I worked out of Jacksonville terminal out of around 30 drivers there,I was one of 6 that had a 40 hour a week run the others ranged from 30 to 34 hour week.

7. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    From day one and all hours up to 40. Some contractors try to claim part-timers don't get the benefit.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  8. SoCalRed

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Nothing on my pay stubs. What about if they claim part timers don't get it?
    Where can I find out more about this? The company can claim whatever they want.

9. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Tell them it's listed in the DOL Wage Determination. They'll know what it is.

Attached is the relevant section.

Attached Files:

10. SoCalRed

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Thank you Sublime. So that will be in their contract.
    If they put about $5/h in a 401k that is not a bad gig as it will amount to $7-8,000 a year.
    Like I've seen on this forum smaller mail contractor don't give you much information. Have to ask them for everything. Heck they didn't even give me the address on my first run was told it's right there by the airport (LAX). Found the place thanks to Google.

11. SoCalRed

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Well I asked the terminal manager about Health and Wellness and 401k, but was told that he doesn't think anything is available before 1 year with the company (about 401k) However he is going to check, he is new on the job as manager. I told him to ask specifically about health and wellness.
    Is it possible that some contractors don't have it in their contract to pay for H&W?
    Is there a legal way for them to avoid paying it in any form?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.