Used melton trucks

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Richter, May 26, 2014.

1. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Hi Guys,
    Im a flatbedder looking for another rig. The melton trucks don't look bad from their website. Can any drivers provide input? I like the side box, 2.64 rears, the headache rack. Not crazy about the 10 speeds. The 2010 t660 use def right? Were these truck problematic? they are selling a lot of trucks only 4 years old. How is the maintenance? How long between service/ oil changes? Whats the average mpg on them? Do you spend most of your time in 9th gear do to the 2.64 rear?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    A lot of carriers sell their equip as soon as the warranty is over. I talked to a melton driver 8 years ago & he told me they were on a 30,000 mile oil change schedule. that was when trucks were older. now you hear of carriers going way beyond what I would feel comfortable on service, they say due to better oil & having oil analysed. to me,most carriers neglect by far the service that should be performed, cause new equip will hold up under negligent care for about as long as these carriers have them, 3-4 years then they sell them. they could service them better & they would last several years without major problems perhaps, but why waste the money if your going to turn them over to sell in 3-4 years?

ramblingman Thanks this.
  4. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    thanks for the info, but i'm not interested in what they used to do, or what most companies do. I'm hoping to hear from an actual melton driver who knows what they do now.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Private Message Flatbedn, he works there.

Richter Thanks this.
  6. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Thanks, but his inbox is full

7. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Uh, Ricther?

Why not just call them, and get the info from the horses mouth. IF you're looking at buying, call the dealer.

8. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I will tomorrow when they are open, but dealers always lie, exaggerate etc. An actual driver will know what his truck gets for mpg, what gear he norm drives in, and how often he takes it in for service.

9. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I understand.

10. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I drive a 2013 T660 for Melton. Oil changes are every 30k. My mpg is right at 7.2 says Melton. I think I get right at 7.5 but I don't hand calculate it often and Melton calculates my gallons used vs miles dispatched so theirs isn't 100% accurate.

As far as reliability my truck has been great but I only have 124,000 on the clock. I have two buddies in 2012's and they have had sensor issues. They both have 100,000 plus more miles.

You'll have to put tires on it because those super singles go 400k. You may not believe that but if you get a chance to look at their inventory in person they all have about 400k and they haven't put new tires on them. Good luck.

Richter Thanks this.
  11. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    yeah.... I have yet to meet a driver who isn't partial to the blarny stone either.
    MPG's vary depending on route, load and the usual other variables.
    Maintenance varies depending on company and driver.

Good drivers, know which questions to ask.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.