Using Google maps vs. Dedicated GPS unit:

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Russian Rabbit, Nov 26, 2022.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I just follow the Swift trucks and if in doubt I close my eyes and punch it. Over 25 trouble free miles so far!

Actually, I use both. Live traffic on Google Maps can't be beat, a real truck GPS to actually follow can't be beat, Google Earth for checking out locations, parking etc. can't be beat, and a real atlas when in doubt can't be beat. Use all the tools in the tool box!

prostartom, DannyB and lual Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    WAZE is also handy for telling you the location of the speed traps , debris on road etc .

tscottme and lual Thank this.
  4. Movingismylifeilovemoving

Movingismylifeilovemoving Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2015
    I've always used Google maps and haven't had any issues.

As others have said, the real time traffic helps a ton and I've been fine with figuring out when it's sending me somewhere a truck shouldn't got

Nostalgic and drh72 Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The fact Google maps only gives you car-relevant routing is enough to rule it out for trucking. You can use Trucker Path app and pay for the lowest tier of paid service. Then TP uses truck-routing version of Goggle Maps routing. However Google Maps and Trucker Path rely on cellphone service where a truck specific GPS does not rely on cellphone service to operate the routing and navigation functions. BTW getting a ticket for screwing with your phone as atruck driver is a very serious ticket. Some companies treat it as seriously as a DUI.

It sounds like you want to bring your car-driving habits with you into the truck like the other 150% of newbies entering trucking. Drive like a professional, not a reckless 4-wheeler getting paid until they quit or get fired.

6. tscottme

I did the same, using Trucker Path which uses all of the Google Map/Traffic features plus the truck stop directory features. I almost always had both my truckign GPS running for navigation/routing and Trucker Path for traffic info and a 2nd opinion on the GPS. If anyone hasn't driven with a GPS before in strange areas it takes a while to notice what particular errors your GPS makes often. Until you know what those errors are it is dangerous to follow the GPS without your own local knowledge or another source giving you a reality check. I operated a lot in the Salt Lake City area for a couple of years. It is growing so fast there are lots of changes the GPS didn't know about and some changes the GPS and Google didn't know about.

My Rand McNally 740 had a very occasional error showing my next turn to reach a major highway or intersection should be left, for example, when in reality it required a right turn. I understand the Garmin truck GPS may give directions on a long straight route to exit the interstate and then immediately get back on the same interstate. You need to know what are the most likely mistakes your GPS makes so you can override them when they happen. There were times I had 3 units giving me routing advice and none of them were right. "Calgon, take me away!"

7. tscottme

Trucker Path integrates what Google Traffic will show with all of the truck stop features. 95% of the time, if I was using Google Maps/Traffic I would seeing it by using Trucker Path, not Google itself.

8. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I use google maps. But I have been getting weird stuff lately.

5EC2062E-0EAA-42C2-8EEE-AA9EFFA3E3F9.png BE51C3BE-A5A8-4D18-AC5E-C1BFF703969B.png 838694C0-B009-4B46-B472-BC996F1649D3.png 3B51136B-6AD0-4DF8-A191-BB0D2B00F11A.png

9. tscottme

and every parked car on the shoulder. That was the primary warning I got more than everything else Waze alerted me to, combined.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I've been driving for over 20 years and have never owned a GPS unit. I absolutely love Google Maps, especially the satellite view.

Old_n_gray, drh72 and tarmadilo Thank this.
  11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Garmin OTR series never failed me.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.