Using truck as air compressor

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MTMAUS, Sep 18, 2022.

1. MTMAUS

MTMAUS Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Hey, so I am trying to use my truck as an air compressor to run my rattle gun for changing tyres etc.

I normally just hook into the trailer air line and run it from there. But when a tyre shop has done up the wheel nuts it struggles and will only work when I have full air pressure, most of the time I have to do 1 nut, then wait for the air pressure to build to Max then do another.

I am thinking maybe I should put a fitting directly on the air tank on the truck? Do you think this would help? If so does it matter which tank? Also was thinking of maybe adjusting the governor when I use the rattle gun, something like cut out at 125psi, build pressure at 115psi, so it doesn't take that long?

I use it quite a bit for trailer tyres etc, so I would like to get a system set up that handles the job, any suggestions?

Cheers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Get a 3/4" drive M18 Milwaukee cordless impact. Problem solved.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Don't mess with the governor, get a good regulator and use that. many trucks have the tap for using the air system, I have several here that are sometime used for air.

I also have air lines that have gland hands on them with a regulator on them.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Your problem is not so much pressure but volume. The system just doesn’t have the capacity to do it. Another vote for cordless 3/4

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Step up the idle and that will help keep pressure up.

As mentioned above. The problem will be volume.

Turning up the governor would also be needed. I don't know why you'd need a regulator. No reason to run one. Shops run at 175. I'm sure service trucks are close to that.

Good luck getting the semi that high though.

7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

This…^^^^^ keyword is volume, that’s your problem at this time.

And that Milwaukee is strong as 3 rows of green onions, good investment….

8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Get a quick disconnect for one of your tanks and plug in there if you want air. I have an M18 3/4 impact that does a pretty good job but it still wasn't able to take off all 40 lugs off on one of my trailers the other day. Get the largest ID fittings and hose you can fit.

Funny thing is those wheels were all off only a couple of days earlier. I'd also carry a very long breaker bar and stand with you if you think you'll need to. Keep a torch handy too. Sometimes that'll make all the difference. Even a little propane bottle is better than nothing. Should keep one of those around just for frozen brakes in the Winter anyway.

Also, you can change the governor but the real limiting factor will be your air tank itself. It just doesn't have the capacity to run pneumatic tools for very long before needing to refill.

Having air available is essential IMO no matter what. Can't tell you how many times it's saved me from expensive road calls. I've had valve stem caps and cores randomly leak and if I didn't have my tank connection and hose with me it would have cost me dearly in time and money.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    If space permits, get one of those really big air tanks that they have on belly dump trailers.

10. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I second the electric impact. I carry an Earthquake XT Cordless Extreme ½" impact as well as the Milwauke M18 FUEL electric impact.

Both of them have the power to break the lug nuts loose and they provide more than enough install torque to get you rolling so you can get it to a truck stop or a shop so you can properly torque the wheels.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Makita or milwaukee, both do the trick, makita is now sold at tractor supply (my buy in is makita because my woodworking brother and my neighbors also have those)

Would also recommend an ACTUAL big torque wrench to properly torque your nuts, as well as be able to break loose nuts put on by overzealous tire techs, recently did my diff and rear yoke nut only required that i heat the nut, friends big 1" air impact was a massive fight to get in there and didnt do anything but require 4 hands to possition and lift it in place, the makita plus the heat did the trick (nut was supposed to be torqued to 750)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.