using your credit or debit card for OTR

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dave93, Mar 22, 2015.

1. dave93

dave93 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2014
    chicago, IL
    hi everybody thanks for taking the time to read and respond. so i was thinking and wondered about using your credit or debit card while traveling around the country. do you have to call up the company who issues the card and let them know you're working OTR and traveling. i mostly use my debit card but have a credit card for emergencies. my debit card is with bank of america and online they have an option to tell them you will be traveling but only has an option to list one location to where you will be traveling. last thing i want is my card to be put on a hold for traveling. but i guess i will forsure have to carry some cash just in case. do any of you let your credit or debit card companies know you are a truck driver?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I use my bank card all the time while trucking. It's a lot easier than carrying cash. I just told my bank what I do for a living, and they were cool with it. Never had a problem.

dave93 Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    They'll figure it out soon enough. In the beginning, if you've never used either outside of your home area, they might make a verification call or text but that will be the end of it. I wouldn't call them. Test them and see if they're on the ball. We live in a very mobile, fast-paced world but their systems will pick up on some out-of-the-ordinary patterns on occasion.

tow614 Thanks this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I didn't pay attention to the issue regarding needing to notify the bank about my travel and ended up with my debit card cancelled due to fraud protection. Fortunately I was able to walk in to a nearby branch and get a temporary debit card issued on the spot. You do need to advise the bank you are traveling. My bank set up a one year notification, which I need to renew each year.

dave93 Thanks this.
  6. dave93

dave93 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2014
    chicago, IL
    thats good you get by okay with no problems i will probably personally go in and tell them so hopefully they put it on file so when they see my card charged in every other state they dont cancel my card. and yes so true to carry a card is so much easier. i rarely carry cash cause really dont need it. although a lady from my mechanics union lectured me about carrying cash lol. she told me what if i get a flat tire and someone comes changes it for you how will you pay them. i really dont like being a smart ### but i had too. i told her well you know this is a mechanics union right if i couldnt change a wheel i probably wouldnt be here lol.

7. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    I use BOA as well and travel otr aND have never had a issue using mine otr

8. flyingmusician

flyingmusician Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Jamestown, NC
    I had issues very early on with boa denying use of my card. I had to advise them I was traveling for work. They only allowed listing 5 states I would be traveling in so I picked 4 corners of my operating area and one in the middle.

never had an issue after that.

9. Oaker

Oaker Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    SW Ohio
    There are certain areas in the country with prevalent fraud where debit cards from some banks can be problematic. A credit card as back up makes sense. Double check fraud protection on both and your good to go.

10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Debit cards - you should let them know. I have B of A and was in GA, they locked my account till I called in and told them I spend the money.
    CC are the same way. I took a taxi in Dallas and got a text page as soon as he ran my card. If I did not call in then they would not validate the swipe.

I would suggest get a third card just for OTR and move money to it as you need it via online banking....

If a purchase is made with your Debit card and you did not make it, it takes a lot longer to get it straighten out than a CC.

dave93 Thanks this.
  11. simpleman78

simpleman78 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2015
    I never had a problem when I used to travel as a field service tech. However I keep an ATM withdrawal cap on my card.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.