Vacationing in a tractor-trailer

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by choo choo train, May 19, 2007.

1. Maxiomega

Maxiomega Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Colorado Springs,CO
    I own a 1997 Freightliner FLD120SD Midroof. It is registered as a recreational truck in Colorado. We pull a 34ft fifthwheel travel trailer. The reason for the over the road rig is the safety involved with running the mountains. I bought mine used on Ebay for $14,200. Low miles 688,000. It get 3 times the fuel economy of my 86 Ford F250. Tags cost me $120 per year, and insurance is $33 per month for full coverage. It only makes sense. I can park it in my driveway in the city limits, as the code is for commercial vehicals. In the sleeper we have a sink, fridge, microwave, TV, portapotty, and a posture pedic matteress on the bunk. The wife can ride comfortably with the dogs.

As a recreational truck, no CDL is required, no logs. You do not have to stop at weigh stations, unless marked all trucks, or includes RV's. We have to carry a letter, issued by the state, explaning it is exempt. So if we are stopped we have the documentation. Colorado would rather see an RV'er pulling a travel trailer with a rig, over an undersized pickup. If you check my profile there are pictures there. It also shows the way around the damage the standard fifthwheel can cause, us an RV fifthwheel. Easily removed when not needed.

If you want to know more, on how to register one, check the(google) RVNetwork page, and look for the HDT link.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    I'm guessing you've already gotten your answer by now. I know there is a "not for hire" classification you can get. The best place to get information would be directly from the Motor Vehicle Department. I'm not sure if you can get away with just having a regular license or not. I would definitely recommend a Truck Driving School and getting the "A" indorsment. At least this way you would have a solid understanding of how to operate the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.