Valid MC # for sale???

Discussion in 'Trucker Forum Classifieds & Trading Post' started by michelle22, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Truenorthexpress

Truenorthexpress Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I have a friend that has had his MC/Dot # for 10 years that he would be willing to sell for the right price. How much are you looking to spend?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    This is the correct answer.. Nobody in their right mind is going to buy an mc# (New or old) just because the company was part of the "Cool Kids Club"..

Book of Business with contractual freight must apply......... Basically, lets say an owner-operator with a low mc# (2,3,4-series) With a clean history but runs freight for nothing but Brokers,,,,, Unfortunatley his mc# is pretty much Worthless to other parties

rollin coal Thanks this.
  4. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    those are not squeaky clean as they have never had inspections and therefore don't count people want to buy mc's with good safety scores and have age on them as alot of brokers don't like new numbers moving there freight

5. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    please know what your talking about before posting many people will buy an mc doesnt matter what brokers have done an old mc with a new company name says alot brokers know its a dif company when name doesnt match mc thats why they always ask if its the same name once they ask for your mc. bottom line a well kept mc# is worth way more then a new number or even one that has been tarnished there is a value to them as well just have to find the right buyer is all

6. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    Wow so many experts with so little brains

7. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I'm not sure how much this is true but I was informed (when I was looking to buy an older MC) that an MC isn't transferable to another name. Also if you do transfer it, and get new insurance, and so on, it shows that it went inactive and it's actually worse than having a new mc? Anyone have any answers for that?

8. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    The DOT# is tied to the FEIN#. If the LEGAL(not dba)is a persons name you have to apply for a new DOT#,new FEIN#,and cancel old insurance and issue new. If the FEIN# belongs to a corporate entity then you must do a stock purchase to keep the old DOT#. Then the risk being liable for past liabilities. If it is a legit purchase of the corp the seller will have to buy insurance to cover any old liabilities that may come up. The MC# doesn't change, even with a new DOT# for a corp. Pretty obvious to anyone looking at it though.

9. Flipflops

Oct 18, 2015
    Most sellers I encountered simply wanted to just give up their MC for a $4,000 AVG price. I wanted to just pay more but for full "corporation" etc which none would do, so I just got my own MC started from the bottom.

10. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Went through this a few times on a purchase. But they were active company's and purchased by a stock purchase agreement. Depending on your structure a s-corp may have to do a 338 election(change to C-corp). I will have a 293***# and operating company at the end of july when the assets are absorbed into the one corp.

Flipflops Thanks this.
  11. Flipflops

Oct 18, 2015
    Thanks for the input. Most people I talked with told me to just get my own MC unless I am getting everything, and have some buisness/contacts with it. Anyways good to know these things, thank you for information and a good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.