Van trailer/ abs

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    A few questions about purchasing a van trailer

1) for General Freight, which features would you look for in a van trailer? Translucent roof, vents, ??

2) has anyone had astronomical cost repairing the ABS on a trailer? What cost have you incurred?

3) how well does the combination stop when you have a tractor with non-abs pulling an ABS trailer?

4) I'm sure this is a ridiculous question, but is it possible to purchase a pre ABS van trailer and use it daily for Freight?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    You can purchase a trailer with pre abs. I think our trailer missed the cut off by about six months. All the abs is, is anti lock brake system; helps prevent the wheels from locking up in a hard brake event by forcing air back into the system.

The costs roughly - The abs system consists of a ECM/ECU ($800-$1800) , 4 sensors ($50-$85 each), 2/4 modulators ($150-$300 each), 4 tone wheels/rings ($75-$100 each), the electrical circuit that connects it all ($100-$xxxx.00), then you have your hubs that need to not have wheel end play or it won’t allow the sensor to read the tone ring resulting in a fault.

Some shippers require a newer trailer, but these are usually places like paper plants who want to load very heavy pieces and don’t want to fall through the wood decking

4. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Can I really find a pre ABS trailer that's in good enough shape to use everyday?

I think it would have to be a trailer that 96 or older.

That would be great if I could find one in good enough condition to use everyday. I just hate anything electronic put on top of any mechanical system.

5. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    98 or older. I bought a new East flatbed in 98 and it didn't have ABS.
    I would say ABS on trailer and not on tractor would be better than other way around. I run non ABS tractor and ABS on trailer with no problems.
    Cost wise, there is very little cost in repairs. Like Hopeover said, you can replace everything for about $3000. You will never need to replace everything, worse case ecm valve at $800ish.
    I wouldn't consider a trailer that old but I pull flatbed.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Dino soar Thanks this.
  6. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yup, it’s in the ABS regs somewhere. I think the cut off is in mid 98’ like October or July somewhere...

Dino soar Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Honestly ABS is pretty much bulletproof. I wouldn't be afraid of it. Most of the issues I ever had with ABS was either torn speed sensor wiring (from off road use) or loose wheel bearings causing excessive speed sensor gap.

If you're worried about an ABS trailer being compatible with a non-ABS truck, don't. Trailer ABS is powered off the blue centre pin in the 7 way plug. It operates completely independent of the truck.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  8. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Thank you for all the replies. I feel a lot better about getting a newer trailer if I can't find anything older that is in good shape, which probably is unlikely..

If I could replace everything in the ABS for $3,000 if Armageddon happens, I could imagine having an older trailer that would cost me easily $3,000 in headaches if not 3,000 actual dollars.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.