Vanner/SmartAir/APU problem

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Wolf Trucking, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Wolf Trucking

Wolf Trucking Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2018
    So I have a peterbilt 579, it has a vanner idle reduction, smart air, and an apu (for which I cannot find the brand).

Not all the time, but frequently when I have all three running the apu will just turn off, the truck won't autostart to charge the batteries, the apu just stops working. No fault, it's as if it ran out of power.

Now I can temporarily fix it by turning off the autostart then turning it back on again. If I leave the air off it seems to work. But when I turn the air on the apu turns off shortly after. If I manually start the truck the time it takes for the apu to turn off seems to take slightly longer. I'd leave the truck on but (obviously and irritatingly) it turns off after 3 min idle.

The truck does autostart but it seems that it's not off of the aux power. It's off of the main power. I've been trying to find a fix for this, or at least a cause, but to no avail

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vannermike

Vannermike Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2018

Please send me an email and we can help you out. We are the manufacturer and we have troubleshooting guides for this system. Since the truck does auto start it appears that our system does work, and annoyingly turns the truck off after 3min, as that was a request from the original purchaser of the vehicle. You can email me at vannermike@gmail.com.

4. Triple Nickle

Triple Nickle Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2016
    I have a smartair system on my 2017 567.
    I'm having issues with the bunk heater. it will only work if the temp. is set to 75°or higher. Both the control board and the heater unit itself have been replaced. Local dealer has no clue. Any ideas?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.