Venezia

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by SmokeMac, Mar 6, 2011.

1. SmokeMac

SmokeMac Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I started working with an outfit called Venezia Transportation on Febuary 14th 2011. They have several divisions, Liquid Bulk, LPG (propane) and Asphalt, Dry Bulk and regular transportation. I will be working in there liquid bulk divison. I took this position because of the diversty that it offered. They have oppertunitys to run local and long haul. I will be running the East Coast but they do go down in Texas. I am doing the long haul because I just moved to the Philadelphia area from Savannah GA, due to marital problems. It will give me a chance to focus on myself and have an occasional visit to GA to see my son. I will try to keep a journal so you all can make an informed decission.
    The first day of orientation was stared of by a extremly informal chat with safety the safety was sitting down while talking with us, a road test, drug test, Physical and benfit briefings.
    The 2nd day was Payroll and the usual death by power point. I was also assigned my power unit. I got what I always wanted a Pete. Am looking foward to going down the High way in the Beautiful Green Beast.
    The 3rd day was, Qualcom orientation, Break adjustment certification, Driver Manger briefing and more death by powerpoint. I also was issued my hoses and fittings for my truck.
    The day after orientation I pulled a load from Paulsboro NJ to Bayonne NJ. It paid 98 loaded miles. The next day I preloaded a trailer for a delivery in Virginna Beach VA which paid 250 loaded miles. I was credited with 3 years of Tanker experiance so I will fall into the 2 to 7 years experiance bracket after my first 90 days. The pay plan for my division is as follows
    All empty miles are paid at .38
    Loaded miles pay as follows
    .42 a mile the first 90 days
    .43 a mile 90 days to 1 year
    .44 a mile 1 year to 2 years
    .45 a mile 2 years to 7 years
    .46 a mile 7 years to 15 years
    .47 a mile 15 years to 20 years
    .48 a mile after 20 years

Loads under 20 miles $20 hourly for loading and unloading.
    .50 a loaded mile on the weekends (under 200 miles)
    .60 a loaded mile on holidays (under 200 miles)
    Miscelania pay
    Tank wash $15 an hour (clock starts imiadiately)
    Breakdown on the road paid $15 an hour after the 1st hour
    Breakdown at a terminal paid $15 an hour after the second hour
    Detention at shipper reciever $20 an hour after the 1st hour for laods over 200 miles, Detention paid immiadiately..

If the trip is under 200 miles you automatically get $20 an hour for loading and unloading. If it is over you get $20 an hour after the first hour. It sounds like they are pretty good at getting you your pay because if the customer doesn't pay the asserial charge then they let the customer go.

Vacation: Is based on avearage weeks pay during calender year. You must take the vaction time during year or you loose it.
    After 1 year 1 week
    After 2years 2 weeks
    After 7 years 3 weeks
    After 15 years 4 weeks
    After 20 years 5 weeks

Paid holidays: New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
    Holidays are paid as follows
    90 days to 1 year $125 a day
    1 year $135
    2 years to 7 years $145
    7 years to 15 years $155
    15 years to 20 years $165
    Over 20 years $175

Not trying to recruit anybody just trying to help folks make an informed decision. If this pay package isn't to your liking I don't give a fidlers fart it works for me. I am retired military so I didn't pay attention to thier Health Care benifits. They have a seperate dental plan which I can take with out taking thier Medical, which I like because my dental plan sucks with the Military. I don't know if this is a good company or no,t due to not being with them very long, so the jury is still out. It is my opinion

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HouseOfPain

HouseOfPain Medium Load Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Beyond the milky way
    Sounds like a awesome job.

4. SmokeMac

Jan 31, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I have been driving 4 years now but this is my first over the road job. Driving OTR is something I always wanted to do but didn't because of my son. Since I can't be with him I am taking advantage of the oppertunity to drive OTR. Hopefully I will get the OTR bug out of my system. I am a competent Gas Hauler and Companys are always looking for Gas Haulers so the option is there if I want to come off the road.

5. Phantom 69

Phantom 69 Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    SC
    Alright Smoke,Stay safe!

6. 1laidbacktrucker

1laidbacktrucker Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    CHATTANOOGA TN
    Well that good they are teaching you drivers brake adjustment, most company dont do that.

7. hasrob

hasrob Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    philly
    Your not getting better then that in the philly area unless your working ups (union) or a car hauler. Stick with it and be safe, sorry to hear you moved to philly (;

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Sounds good. Superior has a terminal in Paulsboro NJ at the Dana Tankwash. Is that one of your yards? Been there many times. Hate it at night. The spot lights at one end of the lot are bright as hell and there are few other lights in the place. Makes it hell backing trailers into dark holes getting periodically blinded when you look that way.

Looks like a pretty standard pay package for chemical tanker. Its a little better than SPCR. Nice thing is you will get paid for delays and detention. Lots of waiting in chemical tanks

9. SmokeMac

Jan 31, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I think I can do better as a Gas Hauler. Was making about $11oo a week working 50 or so hours down in Savannah. We will see how it goes. I am enjoying the OTR gig though.

Philly is where I grew up. I am enjoying WIP and the Philly Sports. I am hoping to get a few Phils games in this year. I take the good with the bad.

poppapump1332 and Joescheppae Q Thank this.
  10. SmokeMac

Jan 31, 2009
    Savannah, GA

I was at Dana today in Paulsboro, ran right by your terminal on the way in. Our yard is in Sweedesboro on 322 between I 295 and the Jersey Turnpike. We Haul mostly Lube oil. I pulled my first Chemical Load yesterday. it was a light load and the Surge was smacking around something firce. Chemicals unload alot easier than lube oil. I am getting unloaded in about an hour so no money for that.

You know what knind of money thoose tank wash operators make ? I have only been to the tank washes 4 times and had to get the Honco twice because the operators couldn't do the work I requested. I have only been putting in the work order and just inspecting it when they done. I DON'T BABY SIT I hope they aren't expecting me to.

11. hasrob

hasrob Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    philly
    You couldnt pay me enough to haul gas after the wrecks I've seen in my days but thats just me. Noone made it out alive :biggrin_25511:

I was just down in clearwater for spring training, then hoped down to the keys for 2 weeks. Now I'm back here waiting for it to get warm and looking for work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.