Verbal warning

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by RMc87, May 2, 2018.

1. RMc87

RMc87 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2018
    So not sure if this is where this goes still new here, but have a question about getting a verbal warning.

I got pulled over for speeding and got a level 2 inspection. All he did was check the air brakes and checked the hazards.

He issued me a verbal warning and said the code under the violation section was for a verbal warning. My question is will this effect my companies CSA and my driver abstract?

Thanks in advance.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tmb0507

tmb0507 Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Folkston, GA
    Short answer yes it goes on your csa as if it's a normal ticket thats why alot of cops issue warning cause you can't fight a warning but you still get the csa points

4. RMc87

RMc87 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2018
    Oh ok, wow how nice of him. Will this go on my driver abstract as well?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    If the officer performed a DOT Inspection and gave yopu a copy...then yes, it is on your PSP report.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Was the warning for both speeding and the inspection if so you got off lightly however like they've said it still may go on record.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Yep,that's their New Tactic.No ticket,Nothing to Fight.Sneaky.Gets it "on There",where you can't "Lawyer up".

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Actually you kind of sort of can. The myth that you can’t is the result of misunderstanding how DataQ works.

When an officer issues a verbal or written warning he is using the discretion afforded to him by his state or jurisdiction, which the feds do not recognize (The discretion). The FMCSA allows no warnings and records nothing concerning warnings. You cannot fight what does not exist (The warning). The violation that the warning was issued for (But not the warning) still exists and is recorded by FMCSA and you most certainly challenge it.

Confusing huh?

KB3MMX, x1Heavy and MagnumaMoose Thank this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Kinda got it. There are two components to a CVSA inspection.
    1. The CSA (and PSP) point system that is federal. This is a violation
    2. The local/state/or whatever ticket - This is the citation.

Most of the time when an officer gives a warning, they write up the violation, which is true and accurate, but do not issue a citation (ticket). This leaves the driver with nothing to fight in a local court leaving a DataQ as the only option. Thing is, the violation is still accurate so a lot of time the officer will not remove it.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. RMc87

RMc87 Bobtail Member

May 2, 2018
    No, the verbal warning was for the speeding. The inspection was fine.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Verbal warnings carry no penalties. Why? Because penalties can only be assessed for DOCUMENTED violations. If you were issued a VERBAL warning, there is no documentation. In order for it to affect your PSP or your carrier's CSA, it has to be noted on the inspection form...making it a WRITTEN warning.

KB3MMX, magoo68, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.