Veteran apprenticeship programs

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jcornwell101, Mar 9, 2015.

1. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    But when the VA allows you to take that 1100 a month how much of your 36 months of GI Bill do you lose?

If Schneider is allowed to charge that entire 36 months for "training" you for a year then it is the service member who gets scammed since the dollar value of the GI Bill is about 1800 dollars a month. That would mean that Schneider charged the VA approximately 65000 dollars to let you ride in one of their trucks for a year and then that vet no longer has a GI bill at all and the Vet wont even get 10k out of it. Seems that if this is how it works then Schneider got the better deal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    They don't take anything out. Schneider isn't sending them a bill.

4. TokyoJoe

Feb 10, 2015
    So the VA just gives the BAH money away for a year for nothing? Hmm thats something I had never heard about. I guess one of us could just switch from job to job indefinitely doing "training" they have 100s of poilce stations, fire departments, state jobs, auto repair, all the way down to hair design studios on the VA website for OJT so if it doesn't cost us anything why would that be?

I guess I did it wrong by using the GI Bill for my CDL school lol.

5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    You get approved through the V.A so I doubt job hoping would work. Schneider sent them my hours I know that. If you want specifics, call the V.A

6. jcornwell101

jcornwell101 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I originally served 2004-2008 and was involuntarily recalled from the irr from may 09 to July 10. I last used my gibill in 2012 so I am positive it is still good. I deployed oct05 and again Oct 09.

7. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I got a call at home from the Navy one day. It was after No#43 invaded IRAQ. I was told to come over to Norfolk to check in & and verify my home of residence. I had been in the Fleet Reserves for 6 years already at that point. I told the lady that "pigs would fly" before I came over there and did anything of the sort. There were a few thousand enginemen that had retired after me, and she had better be calling them first!

They ended up sending me a letter instead. Never heard from them again.

8. jcornwell101

jcornwell101 Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Lol nice

In may of 2009 I was on my way to school and the FedEx guy sent me a huge envelope with orders to Ft Jackson,sc inside. I had 3 weeks to get my affairs in order before I had to report. They threaten you with jail time and Yada Yada if you don't report.

9. TokyoJoe

Feb 10, 2015
    I guess that I shouldn't feel bad that I never kept my address current then, haha. I wonder if I ever missed anything like that? Well I did retire though, I wasn't a first termer separating so what would they want with a 38-40 year old?

10. Deepdiver88

Deepdiver88 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I am in the same situation - 28 years service with both a BS and an MA degree. The only way to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill in the higher education arena is to get a PhD or a JD Law degree. At this point in my life I have NO intention to go back to school for 3-4 years for another degree. On a whim, I spoke to a driving school admissions rep about how the GI Bill can get you into trucking and I am taking the plunge attending a private - not driver mill - CDL program. After graduating, I plan to go with a company that offers the VA OJT Apprenticeship Program. There a couple of misconceptions out there about what this involves.
    (1) The money you are paid DOES NOT come out of the company's pocket but is paid directly from the government (Veteran's Administration)
    (2) When I first started researching the OJT program companies stated they offered it in varying lengths of time. Most said their's was 12 months, some said 15 months and a very few stated their VA OJT Program ran for 24 months. If I understand the way this works correctly - it runs for whatever amount of time you the Veteran qualified for. For example - I am maxed out on the Post 9/11 GI Bill so I will draw benefits for 24 months of apprenticeship.

I came across a poster who had a link to an awesome tool to help individual's determine what their benefits would be. I closed the browser window and have never been able to find that thread again to thank him for pointing me to this tool;

https://www.vets.gov/gi-bill-comparison-tool/

Fill in the windows using the drop-down menus then in block where it says school or employer name type in the name of a trucking company. For example: "Maverick Transportation". The tool will then populate your benefits (BAH based on where the company is head quartered).

In the research I have done, the following companies offer a VA OJT Apprenticeship:
    Scheider National
    Werner
    TMC
    Maverick
    Melton
    Roehl
    Wil Trans
    NTB
    XPO Logistics
    H.O. Wolding
    TransAm

11. Rugerfan77

Rugerfan77 Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Werner offers 24 months OJT. Starts out at $1100 or 6 months, then $800 for 6 months, then gets smaller and smaller through the course of 24 months. Downside to that is the VA charges you one full month of benefits even though your getting paid less and less. Thats why im not gonna continue with OJT after 12 months.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.