VGT Actuator?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Socal Xpress, Apr 12, 2019.

1. AlexD13

AlexD13 Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Mechanic took apart both and said both work fine and just needed a Software update and recalibration. Drove it for 100 miles so far Its good.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AlexD13

Jun 13, 2016
    Mechanic took apart both and said both work fine and just needed a Software update and recalibration. Drove it for 100 miles so far Its good. Mine was Spn641 FMI 9. He said the calibration was off. What do you guys think

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Actuator motor got stuck u don’t have to change it but it will happen again.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. AlexD13

Jun 13, 2016
    Do you think I can get to Drive at least a month before it happens again or is it something i should do Asap? Also, is it Worth changing the turbo too? Man its terrible finding a decent shop here in Los Angeles

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    At least buy an actuator see if u can find something used just to have with you sometimes when they fail they shutoff the truck and since it is only a Volvo part hard to find on the road sometimes and if you break down it will cost u an arm and a leg. Don’t need to replace the turbo.

8. AlexD13

Jun 13, 2016
    again code came up. SPN 641 FMI 9.. this time Lost a lot of power and asked to stop and do regen. The same code came up 3 weeks ago but It disappeared after 50 miles. Reallly hope it stays on so I can take it to the shop in the morning...do you think its the VGT?

9. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Possible maybe turbo

10. 1717rsc

1717rsc Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Have code p0401 on Mack mp8 have been noticing high exhaust temps and sometimes turbo at idle winds up a little and truck shakes just a little bit but noticiable . I know that code is egr related . So after talking to somebody that works on Mack’s I cleaned up a couple of egr sensors and all looked . But he told to run test on actuator and turbo and also egr valve . So I took it to shop and the valve came up good but actuator did not want to calibrate . Could this be what is causing that code also don’t have an actuator code yet but something is going on their that doesn’t want to calibrate would you think is turbo or actuator .

11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Well the calibration for actuator is a process, need to remove it first check and clear mechanical stroke limits in the turbo itself, than put turbo in install positon clean calibrating put actuator in install position than, install on turbo and calibrate. If they did not do this process it will not calibrate.

12. 1717rsc

1717rsc Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2021
    Ok I told him to egr valve test and supposedly it came back good and I told him to do a turbo sweep test or something like that and he said he could not run test on actuator or calibration because it was not letting him . And yes he did not take apart ,so there is no actual test to test it installed .

13. 1717rsc

1717rsc Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2021
    The issue is I have code p0401 and have cleaned up all sensors on Venturi and so on . Unplugged egr outlet and didn’t look plugged with soot or coolant there or anything. I have been noticing high exhaust temps 650f to 750f on highway loaded and a little less unloaded is this normal . Also when I’m on dead stop and going in to gear truck idles a little more you can hear turbo wind up a little with out me pressing gas pedal . What could be the issue here nazriza

• Truckers Report Jobs