VGT test?

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by ChicagoJohn, Feb 16, 2017.

1. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Can you test the VGT actuator without taking it off the turbo. I understand to calibrate it you have to take it off, but can you use PTT to test to see if it's working without taking it off the turbo?

I had the truck dyno tested and I'm producing hp but only 18 psi boost. Turns out my CAC and house to the turbo was bad. I had that replaced, but my mpg still sucks and I don't have anymore power then I did before I did the CAC. I'm trying to rule out the VGT before I have the ecm reprogrammed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    Well, after posting I talked to my mechanic and we believe it's a programming issue. If the VGT was bad, we think it would through a fault code and I don't have any showing.

4. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Is the VGT clear off all soot?

5. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    As far as I know. I hanger haven't pulled off the turbo

6. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    you can remove the vgt only and test to see if the turbo is actually doing a full sweep on the vgt gear sometimes they will get stuck and not throw out a code or anything of that nature it's simple to do once vgt is removed just grab the gear and sweep it by hand if you can sweep by had then you have a problem and it's not the vgt but the turbo. also check boost sensor make sure it's not packed up with soot and not reading properly.

BoxCarKidd and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  7. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I guess I should clarify. I don't actually run a boost gauge, I got the boost info from doing a dyno test. It also feels like it falls on its face, it's kind of hard to explain, it just feels like it's not running "right".

With Mack if you take the VGT off, you need to calibrate it with the computer before it can be put back together. It's like I'm getting a break next week, so I'm going to swing by the shop and have the VGT tested and if it tests good, I'm headed to another shop to have the ecm programmed correctly. (I may be that anyway)

8. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It's worth a try but I don't think it would be ecm programming although I have seen it before

9. ChicagoJohn

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I was having EGR & dpf issues, so I had it fixed. It was a nightmare to say the least. That's where I think this all comes from. I am going to check the VGT just in case.

10. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I think that's where the issue is I have had a bunch of problems after these trucks get fixed and not programmed correctly

ChicagoJohn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.