Vibration on my truck after 60 MPH!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Efficient Transport, Jul 8, 2018.

1. ChancesRGood

ChancesRGood Light Load Member

May 28, 2017
    I think they didn't actually align the new tires they liked or didn't do it right

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChancesRGood

ChancesRGood Light Load Member

May 28, 2017
    Auto correct lied not liked

4. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Do you have one of those fancy Bose seats with a radio that gradually adjusts to volume relative to speed?...... Get a good bass rumble and it's an Eddie Money tune turned real life.... 'She was Shakin'!!! Snappin' her fingers!

... Occam's Razor.... usually the least extravagant, most simplistic, explanation is the best.... Like when a lawnmower won't kick-over.... is there fuel in it?

Your issue might be tire camber / caster..... but I'm not a mechanic.

5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    That’s for sure. I went through as well and started and same speed. Had my driveline balanced, aligned and also had the short drive shaft between the 2 rears rebuilt.

6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    You need to get under your truck and give your drive shaft a good shake. If there is any play in it at all, your U joint is bad. It is possible that the wrong U joint is on your drive shaft. I had that issue in a Freightliner I was in. This shop in Atlanta called themselves replacing it. When I got back to Memphis, our mechanic at the time checked it out. He instantly could tell that it wasn't the right U joint.

7. RoadRanger^^

RoadRanger^^ Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Hello fellas. I'm independent owner operator and own a Volvo 2011 with cummins ISX 500hp.
    I notice vibration under my seat and it's been here for almost couple of month and can not figure it out of what can be caused. Went to the shop couple times because i thought it might be related with drivertrain, because i read somebody says vibration under the seat most of the time are caused by a bad drivetrain.
    One mechanic told me the vibration is because of the Central carrier bearing which it was bad because i could see that it was loose a lot maybe 1cm up and down, but after replacing that the vibration is still here. I feel it around 55-60 and after that when i set my truck on cruise control on 65 i dont feel it. I assume that it might be a bad Universal Join on my front differential. I'm trying to move it up and down it doesnt move, but it is weird that in that U join it has a hole in it like it was overheated or something( and one of the cups is ripped off). Also my drive tires rear ones are newer than front one on the drive. What do you guys think? Every answer is welcome and maybe helpfull. Have a good day and thank you to all of you!

8. raferko

raferko Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Japan
    I would check splines on the pitman arm/steering gear for play

RoadRanger^^ Thanks this.
  9. bjrc

bjrc Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2018
    If your math skills are good the most efficient way to diagnose a vibration is with a vibrometer. It will tell you the frequency of the vibration and with the vehicle speed and rpm figures this is enough to find the cause of the vibration.

RoadRanger^^ Thanks this.
  10. RoadRanger^^

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Hey guys, i’m back. I took my truck in the shop couple days ago had to fix my fan clutch was stuck and i also mentioned that i had vibration around 60. They checked the pitman arm and aay that everything is good. No play. I checked my self the front differential and there is lil bit movement up and down, but i also noticed that the u-joint has a lil hole in it which i will post a picture of it so you can guys give me some opinion. Im still wondering that this u joint is bad and cause the vibration, by the way no movement in the u-joint‍♂️. Thank you for every reply.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  11. RoadRanger^^

Apr 17, 2018
    Columbus, OH

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.