Voluntary Revoking Operating Authority.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 6wheeler, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Not sure how this is possible.....if you suspended your operation AND dropped your insurance this is not possible without knowing someone or being self insured...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I guess I know some one.

4. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Its ok Matt. She knows someone.

Don't matter though, If 6 wheeler takes this advice we gave- He'll keep it without any gaps, He'll be happy that he did.

If your gonna stop your authority- You cancel it for Good, Unfortunately

6wheeler Thanks this.
  5. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    It's not cancelled for good. I'm not going to argue about it, I responded to the title of the thread "Voluntary Revoking Operating Authority". If you want to think you're right by all means do so. Life is too short for foolish debates over miniscule points.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  6. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Mine was a voluntary revocation (me with a PIN on a website) for injury to get thousands of dollars back.

If you don't understand that we are different worlds and that is a conversation ender.

Then when I (me on a computer) VOLUNTARILY reinstated MYSELF (on a computer) the gov charged me AND the accepted industry "system" punished me.

And where is Owner Operators Independant Drivers Association or the National Association of Small Trucking Companies? How is this not even on their radar or list of concerns?

6wheeler, lilillill and stayinback Thank this.
  7. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    It seems like to me that the insurance companies have a convenient way of keeping you thinking that you can't live without them.

I hate insurance companies and I think its a racket that they tell you if you have a lapse in coverage then you will pay for it later with a higher rate.

By the way, you'll never ever never get the real numbers in how your insurance company determined your rates. Its a secret

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I voluntarily suspended my authority short term, it was about 10 years ago. Insurance premium was the same. Cost $75.00 to reinstate with the feds. Was reinstated the same day feds received payment. Actually went to local office and paid.
    Not sure about current rules.

Your situation, for 3 months, I would reduce coverage as much as possible and keep everything current.

Maybe you could get the company to pay for the premium.

Good luck.

6wheeler and NightWind Thank this.
  9. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    And from the Dept. of Redundancy department:

I too did a voluntary revocation last year. It cost $80 to reinstate, and they processed it quickly.

After 10 years as an o/o, I'm sure you have a lot better contacts than I do. I had an increase in my insurance premium and many brokers put me in the "new" catagory and wouldn't give me loads. That included brokers I'd done business with in the past. Even after explaining the reason for the lapse, they still didn't care. The fmcsa lists your authority date, and that's what they go by. But, as I said, I'm sure your contacts are better than mine.

6wheeler, NightWind and Mattflat362 Thank this.
  10. Mattflat362

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Yep it didn't matter what contacts I had or how many times I had run for them prior to getting hurt. Your (our) gov punishes you for getting hurt and then places you back in to the system as new and further screws you.

This is all OK and no one should care or fight it. Just look away. According to OOIDA and NASTC it is much more important to fight NY on a $3 HUT sticker.

Being a fairly new O/O I gotta say I am a little surprised to see how this has been overlooked by the big boys with their agendas that SHOULD align with our feelings. (OOIDA and NASTC).

NightWind Thanks this.
  11. AlexanderK

AlexanderK Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Could someone please suggest me what best way to handle this. I run my own authority for over a year few years ago and suddenly got different opportunities (not related to trucking). So I parked my truck, cancelled insurance and voluntary revoked authority. I never had any issues with insurance or brokers so I would assume I'm in good term with them.
    Now it's time to come back, however in different state and different company name. I was wondering if it worth reactivating my previous mc number in hope that I would get better insurance cost and change everything; address, company name, contact all brokers and have them update information etc. or simply forget about that mc and get new one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.