Volunteer work?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by earnies2, Jun 2, 2023.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I am a shriner and was asked to transport a trailer from Boston to NC. With my truck.
    The company I lease to stated I can cover up my DOT numbers and go on PC because I'm not trucking in commerce and I'm not charging for the trip.
    I'm concerned about the problems I might encounter???

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I'd cover up with "not for hire" and roll

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    @brian991219
    I’d want something in writing from the carrier giving you the ok.

alds, Dave_in_AZ and brian991219 Thank this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If you are loaded and not running under your company's authority, what about liability insurance. I don't know. Just wondering.

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    @062 has a point, if it is not in writing it didn't happen so make sure you have the explicit written permission from the carrier you are leased to to do as instructed. This is even more critical if they own the base plate as they will be the carrier of record responsible for safety, and if they own the IFTA account they need to account for the fuel -even for personal miles- so you may need to purchase fuel through their normal means if they control how/where fuel is purchased.

Along the same lines @kemosabi49 asks a great question. Will your non-trucking liability cover volunteer work hauling someone else's trailer? It may cause them to exclude the entire claim, including coverage to your tractor, if something went wrong and they don't allow you to pull a trailer, or limit it to a trailer owned by you or the motor carrier. This could also come back on the carrier you are leased to if they own the base plate.

The better way to accomplish this mission is to have the carrier you are leased to donate the move to the Shriners, you donate the labor and use of your truck and run it legal, with their numbers on the door and the trailer listed as cargo on a bill of lading. This way, should something happen (even if it isn't your fault) the insurance will be in place to cover the problem.

As for DOT legal, they will not consider it personal conveyance to haul the property of someone else, even a non-profit or volunteer group. Even with you volunteering the use of your truck and trailer, it is still transportation of property not owned by you or the motor carrier. Even as a volunteer, donating your time, compensation does come into play because the effort and expense you put into this is tax deductible, so that is the same as actual compensation in the eyes of FMCSA.

While I appreciate the effort and desire to donate/do good/help out, the risk is just too great if it were me or you were leased to my company. I would run it as a company, legal, and donate the cost of doing the transport to the Shriner's for the tax deduction.

Bean Jr., Judge, earnies2 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I am covered under the Shriners insurance policy
    I am listed on there policy

Bean Jr. and Big Road Skateboard Thank this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If it’s just log book problem, why not just log it as normal. It probably 20 hours or less log book time. Then you never have to worry about DOT giving you log book violation.

Bean Jr., Snailexpress and earnies2 Thank this.
  9. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I'm not sure if I can be on PC And a papper log at the same time?

10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    PC existed before we had electronic logs. Although at one time it could only be with an unladen truck and trailer or a bobtail.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    PC is really for going to restaurants or entertainment or from home to terminal you work at every week. I think someone on here once said, what if you going camping or vacation and driving your truck. It’s probably technically legal but try convincing DOT inspector on the side of the road probably won’t work.

Boston to NC on personal conveyance is a long distance. Why take the risk? Your doing it for the Shriners. So just log it as normal driving time and run it legal. It’s hard to believe 20 hours in log book will make any big difference. You could always do 34 hour reset before in Boston or in NC if you really need 70 hour availability.

Bean Jr. and earnies2 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.