volvo blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by mover man, Dec 31, 2015.

1. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    2014 volvo 780 start truck and it shuts down right away. Its popping the ignition fuse. So won't start. Had truck in volvo they replaced the ignition. Said all fixed, yet 4 days later here we go again. Any ideas

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Call_Me_The_Breeze Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Sounds like a short in injector wiring or ECM wiring. A short in those areas would likely feed back and blow the fuse as they are both fed off the switch through the ignition circuit.

4. mover man

Feb 21, 2010
    Breeze i figured it was a short somewhere. Ive talked to several volvo owners and none have had this problem. Figured id ask here in case someone else had this same problem. I dont think its a major problem (well major for me cause im broke down) but its a pita problem to locate. Easy to fix once found

5. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Dec 30, 2015
    If I were a betting man, I'd say a harness has been rubbing against something and chafed the insulation, causing a short to ground. Sucks, but all you can do is trace the wiring back until you find it. If it's not in the wiring, I wouldn't rule out a short-circuited injector or engine management controller.

Not as likely, but could the starter solenoid possibly be sticking and causing an overload? Only two things can blow a fuse, a short, or too much current draw. And a flaky capacitor in the engine control computer could cause that.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    AModelCat Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Best bet would be to get an electrical schematic for the truck, see what gets powered up by that circuit, then disconnect each circuit 1 by 1 if possible until the fuse stops blowing. Once you have it narrowed down to 1 possible circuit, test the suspected circuit for a short or ground fault.

7. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Dec 30, 2015
    Another possibility is that water may have found its way into a connector somehow... This is the time of year for it... Ice melts and gets into places you wouldn't believe.

8. mover man

Feb 21, 2010
    I just got this truck less than a month ago. This is the second time its done this. The first time volvo said it was bad switch, and changed the ignition. Worked fine for a week. Since its gold i figured i would call crst. After an hour finally got thru to thier maint dept. They looked it up said it had happened once to them. They changed a distrubition box, the starter and fuse. Its under warranty but volvo closed till monday. Im sure i will have to fight with them over how or who pays the tow bill to get it there. This sucks i bought this truck to avoid going thru this. As my freightliner got old and had started to fall apart.

9. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Dec 30, 2015
    VOLVO?! Ain't that part of a girl's hoo-ha? *scratches head* In all seriousness, though, sorry for your misfortune.

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  10. Call_Me_The_Breeze

Dec 30, 2015
    Having started at CRST and being familiar with their "maintenance" and "repair" department, as well as the usual range of zeroes that pass there, I would never buy a truck that had possibly been a former CRST unit. I was told to bypass the CR terminal with a leaking drive axle hub seal, and routed 4,000 miles on another truck after I told them it had steering/power steering issues.

11. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Check to see if you have the same issue when u move your steering colum I've found a lot of ignition wires touch the colum frame and blow fuses try to see if it will happen in different positions

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.