Volvo D13 DPF Pressure Sensor Code

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by tallmon, Nov 12, 2015.

1. tallmon

tallmon Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Got these codes this morning. Is there a pressure sensor on the DPF? If so what's it look like? Any ideas?

Particulate Trap Inlet Pressure Current below normal or open circuit
    MID 128 SID 81 FMI 5
    Aftertreatment 1 Particulate Trap Differential Pressure Current Below Normal Or Open Circuit
    SA 0 SPN 3251 FMI 5
    Particulate Trap Inlet Pressure Data erratic, intermittent, or incorrect
    MID 128 PID 81 FMI 2​

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. arod

arod Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2013
    It maybe 1 of the sensors that are on the barrel looking muffler under the passenger seat i think it has 2.

4. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Clean your delta dpf sensor and its tubes. Its located on dpf can. If doesnt help replace it.

5. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Check the aftertreatment differential pressure sensor. It's the one with the two tubes running to it from the DPF, most look like an EGR delta p sensor. Clean the tubes, check the voltage, inspect the wiring harness. If that all checks out, replace it.

6. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    If you have an fmi5 that is open circut. You can ohm out the sensor and the harness but I would replace the sensor that would be the most likely culprit. I also see an fmi data erratic for the sensor. Idk what other codes you have. None of the 3 you list would have me look at clogged tubes or a plugged dpf. Its easy to replace but don't screw up the 2 little orange or red rubes they are hard to find and pricey for what you get. When you replace the sensor it is good practice to blow compressed air into each tube to make sure they're not plugged. If the sensor passes the ohm test then your problem is in the harness. Without a breakout box or schematic and some long leads its a pain.

QUALITYTRUCK and tallmon Thank this.
  7. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    Going to replace the sensor next week. $100 for it from the dealer. Not easy to get to but will let you know how it goes.

8. tallmon

Oct 22, 2014
    I'm writing the end of the story for anyone else with the issue.

Got the sensor. Didn't have time to replace it right away. After a few days, the original codes go away but this NEW code shows up:
    Aftertreatment Diesel Particulate Filter System
    Engine #1
    Data Valid But Below Normal Operational Range - Most Severe Level
    SPN 3936 FMI 1

It started asking for a parked regen. I start thinking my DPF is shot. We do a parked regen, code still keeps coming up. We drive for about a week more - no derate or any weird behavior.

Finally, we replace the sensor and fix up the harness. It was in rough shape.

All codes gone, now!

tserberis and simon999 Thank this.
  9. tserberis

tserberis Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I think my DPF differential pressure sensor is out. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.