Volvo d13 engine brake not working after a warm engine start

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jdutton1, Feb 17, 2018.

1. jdutton1

jdutton1 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I have a 2014 Volvo with a D13 672000 miles on it. My engine brake works fine on all three stages when I start it up for the day after the engine is cooled down. If I shut it off for a little bit and the engine does not cool down the engine brakes will not work in any stage. From what I am told there's only one solenoid and it only functions on stage 2 and 3 so to me it does not sound like it could be the solenoid because stage one is also not working. The mechanic I spoke to said stage 1 uses the turbo only. I have had a DPF and a DEF delete done on this truck. The guy who did the programming says it is not a programming issue and it must be mechanical. Nobody can tell me what the problem is. Has anybody experienced this and if so what was the resolution? Also because I know people will ask it is an I shift transmission so there is no clutch switch to check and the cruise control is fully functional.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    1st thing....
    when was the last time you had someone run the over head....??

4. jdutton1

jdutton1 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I had the overhead done in may. So about 60 to 70,000 ago.

5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    hows your fuel milage....?

6. jdutton1

jdutton1 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012
    It's decent. Avg 6.5. Always lower in winter

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    i'd have the overhead checked again..... and have them do it when it's warm
    we had a d13 that worked great when it was cold but when it was warm the jakes would stop and the fuel millage was around 6-6.5.... ended up being a bad head

8. jdutton1

jdutton1 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012
    With absolutely no other symptoms? Is there an PEG on the d13 like the d12 had?

9. jdutton1

jdutton1 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012

10. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    in our case we had the overhead run and the dealer didn't torque the valves right
    because of that the bolt holes went out of round
    remember that metal does change size with temp so when it was cold everything would be set right when they ran the overhead BUT when it would get warm the bolts would move and get out of spec.
    it was a ##### to find (4 dealers) but when they did they had to replace the head

11. jdutton1

jdutton1 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012
    It seems like if that were my situation it wouldn't matter that I can run the engine for a half hour or 10 hours and they work fine. But as soon as I shut the engine off and restart it even 30 seconds later all 3 stages stop working completely. It seems to me something is telling the Jake's to not work on a warm engine start.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.