Volvo d13 low temperature

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Dzaro, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Dzaro

Dzaro Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Hello drivers!
    Need your advice. My coolant temperature going from 170f to 150f when idling. Outside temperature is 35
    Also im losing my heat in my cab
    And from time to time I’m listening some whistle from dpf side, engine noise is change and gallons/h going 0.6 to 1.0 (something happening)
    Every night i have force regen
    2016 Volvo with D13 ishift
    Sorry for my English :)))

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Sounds like engine thermostat is stuck open. Is your engine fan always engaged?

4. Dzaro

Dzaro Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Even in a 150f from time to time fan is going on and off

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Sounds like it's going into auto regen, that's the sound it makes when it changes it's idle and also the difference in fuel consumption.

If it needs regen every morning then it is failing to regen when it's trying to do it automatically. Which means the doser injector is probably filled with soot. Or dpf needs cleaning. Sounds like a sign of trouble ahead if not addressed soon. Is it demanding you stop and do a regen while you're driving yet?

A bunk heater is an excellent source of heat for sleeping. Cost like $1300 installed (on the high side) burns maybe .5 gallon per 10 hours makes more heat than needed. Easily 10% maybe more like 5% of the fuel you are currently consuming if you're only doing it for night time heat while sleeping. Draws very little charge from batteries.

Coolant temp that's probably normal. Does it stay at 180-190 while driving or is it still down around 150?

6. Dzaro

Dzaro Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2018
    When I’m driving is normal 170 on hills 190-200 fan going on and back to normal 170
    When idling is 150 and like now I’m losing heat and I need too rise rpm to have heat
    For dpf nothing shows me like you must do force regen
    2 weeks ago I do dpf cleaning and force regen in shop
    I check soot level is perfect

7. Dzaro

Dzaro Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2018
    Now when i rise rpm to have heat I have 170f fan is on and the temperature goes to 150

8. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    It’s either the thermostat or engine fan clutch. I’d leen towards the second one. Any after treatment trouble codes?

9. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I believe is normal, my both trucks with D13 won't hold coolant temp at 170 idling in cold weather. I have Webasto, idling kills this motors / emission system and radiator shield in cold , reducing air flow keeps the heat trapped around the radiator , still have to remove it pulling hills heavy..

10. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    most likely thermostat is bad might be a fan stuck on, the whistling that you are hearing is either boost leaking of exhaust leaking from somewhere in the engine both of those things will cause the regen not to be done properly and eventually have you derated on the road somewhere from the fiters being stuck, thermostat is not expensive of any kind of major job but you have to figure out where and what those leaks are, also try not to idle the engine the more you idle the more issues you are going to have with aftertreatment.

11. Dzaro

Dzaro Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2018
    No codes

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.