Volvo d13 no boost

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Volvo owner, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Volvo owner

Volvo owner Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Got bad mpg and lose of power at the hills under load so Left my Volvo( 2012 with 560000 miles ) for a DYNO test, its show 0 boost at the computer check, they told me that they couldnt see the boost and so truck ECM probably got same problem, but i got installed an boost gauge which usually show 25-35 psi under load and looks normal, anybody got this problem? No check lights and truck run perfect

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    strange problem have never actually seen an ecm go bad in that matter before, specially when truck does show boost, is the boost gauge installed mechanical or OEM in the dash. boost sensor runs on same circuit with a few other sensors so if anything could go bad i would put it on the wiring before i would put it on ecm .

KB3MMX, nax and Volvo owner Thank this.
  4. Volvo owner

Volvo owner Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2018
    No , i dont have one in dash i installed it by myself its just a hose from intake manifold, but shop told me that still volvo got one in which should show boost at diagnostics

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    yes there is an option for it, but it doesn't make sense that you have mechanical boost but not electrical this is not logical. there has to be something else going on, i've never seen any of these ecms go bad so this is even the stranger part, how is the engine wiring, even if the wiring is bad being that it is a volvo it would have thrown a code guaranteed for any wire being bad.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. 1redvolvo

1redvolvo Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Hello I have a 2011 Volvo 670 I just replaced intake sensor, turbo speed sensor, injectors and cups, full service, fuel filter housing, fuel pressure sensor all done at volvo dealer in Windsor, On. Only codes coming at dealer are coolant level sensor and oil temp sensor I will be replacing the coolant level sensor when i get home and oil temp sensor at next service. I am getting horrible fuel mileage running at 5.2mpg right now. I did an egr dpf def delete to this truck. The problem I am having is very low boost either loaded or empty. I found a small leak on the exhaust side of the turbo will be replacing the clamp and gasket when I get home. Can anybody tell me what may be causing this.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Mudman78

Mudman78 Light Load Member

May 23, 2016
    I found it very common on the D13 for the intake manifold bolts to break. It blows the o-ring seal out and you lose boost between the intake and head. Look for missing bolts and soot marks on the head behind the intake manifold.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. 1redvolvo

1redvolvo Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Thank you I will check it but I sprayed quick start all over the intake checking for a vacuum leak truck did not increase in rpm but i will take another look

9. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    I think the spray wont work on the pressure side because it will blow out the pressure ... and not suck

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. 1redvolvo

1redvolvo Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    So I figured out my problem the not so smart mechanic that drilled the holes in the dpf left the cotton like material lining the filter instead of removing it so it clogged the dpf so i cleaned that up and drilled the filter out some more bypassed the scr all together and she's back to the way she should be hope this helps!!! Boost is back and fuel mileage way up!!

Attached Files:

11. Boromak18

Boromak18 Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2018
    When you have this problem did you have back presure on the turbo making like helicopter sound, i have problem with boost not going more then 20 psi on the boost gauge not puling good on up hill, i check every thing on the truck and is ok, no explain wath is the problem.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.