Volvo D13 P006964

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by gman07, Oct 18, 2023.

1. gman07

gman07 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2023
    I'm getting a single SA 16 P006964 code in a 2019 VNR with the D13, along with low power (under 15 psi boost except with the engine brake active, when it'll get up to the normal 30-ish). I've replaced the manifold air pressure sensor, but that didn't change anything. The issue is intermittent - not while driving actively, but between key cycles. For example, no power one day, shut it off overnight and ran fine the next day. Shut it off again and next time I started it, the code was active and had no power.

The dealer would like to replace the engine ECM, but wanted to check here in case anyone else has experienced this.

I understand the barometric pressure sensor is inside the engine ECM - anyone have experience trying to fix this pressure sensor rather than replacing the ECM for $4500?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Sounds like they are guessing. Did they follow the guided Diagnostics? Are they still going to charge you 4.5k if replacing the ECM does not work? What about service bulletins?
    The one below is for more than one code (not what you have) but there may be other bulletins that should be checked. Connections should be checked and cleaned and then apply silicone dielectric grease. Check the software version, sometimes an update will correct these type of problems.
    upload_2023-10-19_9-5-25.png

upload_2023-10-19_9-6-31.png

Call an ECM repair and see what they say about the Baro sensor.
    ECM Repair - Truck ECM
    Detroit ECM Repair Service DDEC 6 | DD15 » MCM A0014462835 (ecmrepairusa.com)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    gman07 Thanks this.
  4. gman07

gman07 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2023
    They followed diagnostics, and I was told that they checked the MAP sensor and harness. The diagnostics then pointed to ECM, but I have a hard time believing the ECM itself is bad on a 5 year old truck. There were other stored codes, but they didn't tell me what they were. The only active one is the P006964.

I will ask about service bulletins.

5. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    What I posted does not differentiate between active or historical codes. The other codes are important.
    upload_2023-10-19_14-44-16.png
    This is a signal issue, I did not see anything about a bad barometric pressure sensor.
    ECM is always the last resort and however unlikely may end up being the problem.
    I would call a couple of the ECM repair places and see what they have to say.
    A courtesy to click on the thumbs up (Thank) icon.

gman07 Thanks this.
  6. gman07

gman07 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2023
    Thank you. I did not have any luck with the ECM repair places beyond "yes, the barometric pressure sensor might be bad and we can fix it".

The dealer indicated that by VIN, the truck is not subject to any bulletins.

Is there a way for me to see stored/inactive codes in the truck dash, or is a scanner needed for that? If a scanner is needed, is there a reasonably priced option for intermittent use? Or do I need a dealer to read the codes?

7. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Volvo Truck Fault Codes - How To Check VN, VNL, VHD | OTR Performance - YouTube
    Bing Videos
    The first video talks about active and inactive codes, the 2nd only active.

i don't have access to what the dealer does but this is easily found on the net and it states dealer distribution.
    MC-10163918-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

"Powertrain Engineering is currently investigating the cause of this issue but have determined that the likely problem is located in the external engine wiring harness." So even this is not a definitive solution. But the other codes are important.

In any event I would not spend 4.5k on a new ECM. Your decision depending on downtime etc. vs. dealer replacing. But dealer not even sure about the solution. I would send yours out and get the same one back. There are a number of places on the net and they will run it through tests. This one has 1-2 day time frame and diagnostics start at $100. ECM Diagnostic - Truck ECM

Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  8. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Depends on your location i have a few good ecms i use for testing and i can program with whatever vin you need just to eliminate of test for the problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.