Volvo Headlight Opitions

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by RookieMoveJr, Jan 31, 2019.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I just changed to a aftermarket set FULL LED light housing (high/low white parking LED yellow turn signal LED with white LED angel eye glow ring around each headlight)$475 each side... WOW.. and no lcm reprogramming needed.

They do make a led conversation kit for the housing you have. About $240 for the high and low beams (all 4 lights) with the required resistors to fool the lcm made by Sylvania

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jacoooooooo

Jacoooooooo Heavy Load Member

Oct 20, 2013
    How much is the resisor kit?
    Knowing how little time it takes to click 4 options in the LCM setup menu, I’d just find a dealer who will do It for a 1/2 h charge. It’s literally a 5 minute job.

Besides the better light output, lower draw is also something I’d rather keep, instead of adding resistance back to make it what it was on halogens.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. RookieMoveJr

RookieMoveJr Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Care to link the Headlights you got? How long have you had them installed?

Link to the Sylvania kit?

So high beams work, but you will not get the blue light on the dash if they are on. That IS a problem, not worth having.

5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
  6. RookieMoveJr

RookieMoveJr Bobtail Member

Jan 31, 2019
    KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Trucker2211

Trucker2211 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Got a #### migraine just from reading this thread... We got along fine with the old one-piece square style glass lights for years and years and then all of a sudden everyone needs to be able to see into the next county over. If you can’t see with regular OEM halogen lights, you definitely don’t need to be driving at night.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Two options.

OMFG Eff this *&^% and ... WTF is this?

The lights that is on those trucks. Why we have them I don't know. You would think you can saw those lights off and then custom fabricate whatever you think works best on that bumper.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    part of the problem is people think it is safe to have lighting to light up the road a mile and a half away.

the other problem which has to do with the builders of these trucks, cars and pickups is they put in flat panel screens which are too bright plus the other electronics in the trucks where they need more lighting to see outside the cab and hence they think they need lighting to light up the road a mile and a half away.

Dodge, or ram (what a joke) was singled out for their pickups and better sales because they have the biggest screen in the cab on the dash, where GM and Ford doesn't. I am waiting for the lawsuits to happen because of them, I hope they do come because it is stupid to have daylight in the cabin of a vehicle when it is pitch black out.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If I ever buy a vehicle of any kind, the one thing I will specifically make sure if I have to custom order to build, never to have a giant screen in there.

I use F.lux software on this computer to eliminate where possible blue light. I can only imagine the difficulty today's drivers have to go to sleep having been flooded by blue lighting everywhere all night or whatever. Even by day.

Ive leaned towards Ridgeline's assertions, however I will state that many areas out west it's good to know what is half a mile ahead. What's really awesome is occasionally when you are fixing to be stabbed by the beam of a railroad engine headlights the engineer will switch it off a minute until you get by.

I know I have a love and hate relationship with my crappy 96 tahoe, but when I get in it I am reminded that it does not hardly have anything like today's crap overloading new vehicles. Thank god.

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA

Those pos volvo halogens should've been a NHTSA safety recall !!

they were so bad after a year or so of use the projector reflectors didn't work anymore and light was better with a D cell maglight.

The old style Volvo halogen headlights were a train wreck. Both styles projector and vnm style reflector were total dog s.

You must have never driven the POS Volvo halogen lights then experienced the factory LED. Nobody wants to go back to that crap of burnt out bulbs and total crap for visibility.

86scotty and Jacoooooooo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.