Volvo headlights dim

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dna Mach, Dec 26, 2008.

1. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

See Post #7 this thread--can easily be re-adjusted..dont let mechanics do to factory specs--- beam will be 'too low.'

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. grimesjm1

grimesjm1 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Kensington,OH
    i run wth my highs on all the time. i ve never once been brighted back, and it looks like i feel the lows should, so thats been my solution so far

4. tfxpzeke01

tfxpzeke01 Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    This being my first post, I came to this forum to search for a thread exactly like this depicting Volvo's poor lighting system. I drive a company 2005 Volvo VN630. I was just assigned the truck about 2 weeks ago since I'm a new driver with a newly acquired CDL. Driving at night with such poor lighting is REALLY unnerving to me, especially with my lack of driving experience. I too have said "F(screw) It!!" and have driven with the high beams on and haven't yet been flashed. I don't have a CB yet, so I don't know if I'm getting cussed by other drivers or not. Honestly, I could give a rats ### about the 4-wheelers, but I'm forced too since I hold a professional drivers license. I surely don't wanna cause a wreck and then be held responsible and ruin my driving record.

I have thought about taking my own money and trying to retro-fit an HID bulb in there, but I don't know if the company would let me do that or not. Since 90% of our trucks are a mixture of Volvo VN 630's and 660's, it would be an easy swap when I get farther up the totem pole and get newer better equipment. Being able to see 1/4 mile up the road for glowing eyes, reflectors, etc is EXTREMELY important to me, so I guess I'll continue to use the high beams AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE until I can think of a better option.

5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    The problem is different. This is common for version 2 problem of bad projector reflectors. Take headlamp apart, remove condencer and you will see that reflecting surface is ... yeah! bad! remove reflectors and send to workshop to resurface.

If you think voltage on bulbs is too low check LCM power supply! corroded fuses hidden under unit! But if voltage is too low ore current is too low LCM send fault codes on CAN and you see CHECK BULB LOW BEAM warning! No warning - no electrical problem! )))

6. T|2uck3r

T|2uck3r Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2010
    55 Zone
    Yes it is kinda weak the low beams but with halogen lights on bottom its much better

7. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    so.... you have no wiring problems... reflectors are bad.

8. Ruges

Ruges Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    InMyTruck, USA
    Dont use the low grade bulbs. Sure they last along time But they are just not bright enough. My Volvo uses stlye 9007 blubs. I buy these bulbs at Walmart. I dont buy the cheap ones I buy the exspensive ones. They dont last as long, Your only going to get about a year out of them (running during the day too) before they burn out. But they are really bright. I even get flashed every now and then with my lowbeams on. And I dont dare use highbeams as I would be scared the oncoming would be blinded so bad they would headend me.

Also I too have the issue with my lenses getting dirty and scratched over time. However a shop that I goto has a polishing kit. They can polish it so well (from a praticaly dirty yellow, to a clear glass look). I was so happy that they told me they could do that becouse I was going to just buy new lenses at one point in time. Lasts about 2 years before it needs tobe repolished. But I just have them do it every april or may when I do my pre summer maintnece.

Anouther thing I do with my headlights, Becouse the bulbs I use dont last as long I always have a spare with me. What you should do is go out and buy two new packages of 2 bulbs. Install the new set and thow out the crappy dim ones. When one bulb goes bad. replace them both with the secound package you bought. But hold onto the good one. When anouther one goes bad replace the bad one with the old good one you have. Then purchace a new box of 2 good ones. rinse repeat.

9. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    9007 bulbs! You have '98-2002 truck. No LCM, pld style reflector lamps. Version-II headlamps are with projectors. Bulb is closer to reflection surface and thermal stress damage reflecting surface.

Overdrive!!! Look for headlamp reflector resilvering workshop. Remove headlamp glass, remove panel, unscres projector and take it apart. Send reflector for resilvering. Be careful with condencer lens, it is made of glass and fragy. Ask workshop abput what they use for resilvering. If chrome- it is not good choise, the same life as stock headlamp, use aluminium resilvering.

About HID. Yep, 35wt HID bulb is not so harmfull for headlamp! But there are some issues with HID conversion of Version-II. Not all dealers know how to do it the right way. So I gonna start theread how to do HID conversion.

droy Thanks this.
  10. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    Great thread, I was going to post the same question about the headlights in my truck. The high beams are great, the lows suck!

On a side note. Check the battery wire to the starter. Volvo/Cummins starters are infamous for that starter nut backing off.

11. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I've forgoten to say that if you connect ballast directly to bulb wire LCM may be damaged later and may get fault codes. To install HID like on plant add two relays and reprogram LCM. Else sufisticated European electronics may fail :biggrin_2556:.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.