Volvo nightmare

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by lemes, Aug 18, 2011.

1. lemes

lemes Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2011
    miami, fl
    We have a doomed Volvo truck, and we are helpless. So the only thing I can do is BEG for help.
    We purchased a truck last year from TEC Portland with a brand new trailer. Truck price $80,000.00 and Trailer $70,000.00, we gave $15,000.00 down and we paid $13,000.00 to register and other regular fees for the business.
    On the first trip we already had an issue with coolant leak, this issue went on for a long time until we got a big service done that costed us not only a lot of money but also a lot of down time.
    After that we added up all the down time on the truck and it was more than a month, just on the first 6 months after purchase.
    We signed up for a roadside assistance for trucks and we got expelled for excess use of services, it’s a shame!!!
    Every time we have an issue we are not able to get it fixed fast, the dealers are always full of service (I wonder why), they never got parts in stock... a mess.
    Now we are down again for almost 10 days and this my recent nightmare:
    I just want to share everything that is happening now, so someone can at least feel the pain that we are going through AGAIN.
    8/06 Truck broke down, called Volvo Action, the agent asked several questions and said we needed a tow truck.
    We got a tow truck and they said they couldn’t tow the truck and trailer together because the back axle was compromised, we had to hire a tow truck for the truck and one for the trailer.
    TEC La Mirada closed for renovation, TEC Fontana almost 100 miles away from the site.
    8/08 Truck arrived @ TEC Fontana, first I was told it was only a wheel seal and I got a $2479.65 invoice from TEC.
    8/10 I got a different invoice, now for $7597.57 (including $1750 tow bill that was originally $1340 just for the truck)
    8/10 I authorized the repair and request a credit account.
    8/11 I completed the form sent by Tracy @ Finance Department
    8/12 I got an email from Tracy requesting the second page from the credit application signed, then she realized she sent me just the first page, signed the second page and sent to her.
    8/12 @ 7Pm Florida Time, I got a call requesting $3300 in advance for the subcontractor that will do the axle repair.
    I explained I needed to wire the money, but we are in FL so we couldn’t do it.
    8/15 I made the payment they requested.
    And today 8/17 I was told that the subcontractor is not there yet!!!
    It’s been almost 10 days and not only I am paying almost EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS to have this GREAT truck repaired, I am also paying $60 a day of storage for the trailer and $68 a day for hotel to the driver, who just gave me a deadline until friday to get the truck fixed otherwise he will quit.
    So my loss so far is almost TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, not mentioning that I paid the truck on the 1st and wasn't able to do a single trip this month.
    I would like to know, if we are the only lucky ones that deal with those issues, because honestly... I am getting to my limit... and I don’t think anyone wants to see me below my limit.
    Tom from TEC Fontana was very helpful on the beginning but now every time I call is a different story, sad story of course... and I don’t know why they requested money in advance if nobody is there to do the job!!!
    This is a shame to Volvo, and what upsets me the most is that every time something like this happens it’s like we are the only ones that go through this, but my driver is there and spoke to 3 other owner operators that wish they never had this garbage called Volvo Truck.
    We share the office with 4 different companies, 4 different trucks and this is the newest and more expensive truck... and guess what... the 1996 Freightliner that costed $20K is up and running... the down time is only for P.Ms and tire issues... and the owner has no monthly payments... We spent more than that just for registering and as down payment.
    Excuse my language, but I cannot think of any other names than garbage... actually I can, but I am lady and I won’t go that low.
    I know you are not the owner of Volvo, but If I have to hear my customers, my boss and driver complaining, someone needs to hear me too.
    I am going online now and doing a complaint in every single website I know to let people know about this mess.... I have no choice, since I have no money to hire an attorney and sue TEC, or sue Volvo... and I know that Volvo is well prepared for this.... they should be, because with so many issues and so much money down the drain, I guess someone on this story is making money, and I am sure it’s not me! I will look for help everywhere until someone can help us, newspaper, facebook, blogs, twitter, church, EVERYWHERE... I swear!
    I would like to congratulate Volvo for taking another honest person out of business... because truck payments were ALWAYS on time, and we could never count on this truck.
    And its funny because we purchased the truck from TEC Portland, we are being fixed at TEC Fontana and the finance department can’t approve us for a $4,000.00 Net 30 pay... it’s ridiculous! We are NEVER late 1 single day with our payments, but it’s not enough to get us approved... ridiculous! This has to be joke. :biggrin_25510:
    I have the receipts for ALL repairs done at Volvo dealers and ALL tow bills for this junk... now I ask, is there anyone that can help me replace, return, burn this piece of garbage?
    Maybe someone reading this will have the decency to call us and try to help... I tried our salesman Duane already, and a couple of months back he offered us a great deal of returning the truck plus more money down, plus increase of monthly payments for an older Freightliner! Isn’t that GREAT!??:biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    what drive axe is faulty? first ore second?

what is axe manufacter? Spicer? Meritor?

I wouldn't blame Volvo only, becouse Volvo does not make hypoid tandem axes and they use Meritor, Eaton ore Spicer. So you can imagine on how many trucks of other manufacters this axe may fail too. and as I can see diff issues happen on all trucks, may be Mercedes is better with genue mercedes axes... but anyway axe problems are rare.

Towing was very expencive... yeah...!!!!!
    I sugest Volvo Action is not the best cost company. I'd use tow truck of other company, they can do all twice cheapper.

about axe.... is this a warrantry issue?

4. The_Judge

The_Judge Light Load Member

May 25, 2008
    Montreal, Quebec
    Volvo is milk&honey till u buy their truck. After that for them the customer it's just another sucker who will have to beg for his rights. They round up shark lawyers to fight in court for them and they have very tricky contracts.
    I am a Volvo owner but I despise Volvo management.

5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    IMO - Volvo is too expencive toy, there are many drivers who LOVE Volvo. But newer trucks are so expencive with parts and service!

IMO - no reason to get truck positioned like the best by maker! I like workhorses. Thet are not so good for drivers, but they keep running.

That's why I do not like Actros, I'd get Axor, I would't get Cascadia, I'd prefere Century Class ore Columbia.

Ok, about Volvo. Too many expencive solutions! Yep, it is nice to drive, but we have to pay for all!

6. CANTRUCKIT

CANTRUCKIT Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I hear ya. I on the other hand have a 1995 volvo and can out source any repairs to any other company other than volvo. I make a point to avoid volvo. Because she is a older truck I have a N14 cummins in er. I dropped it in Feb 2010 against the advice of buying a newer problem.
    My N14 is on warranty I had an injector problem, and phoned every company in Edmonton that was Cummins Certified to get the warranty work done. Volvo being last on the list and of course the only ones who could get me in for the work. I dropped the truck with them at 10am and left a description (injector failed stutter and flutter in throttle) is what it said. I heard nothing from them all day and thought that was strange since they took the truck in as I was leaving. Only a couple hr job, anyway I phoned at 430pm to find out the status and the nice lady on the phone said it was done. I made my way over there and received the bill. It says (Repair fan wire) and my mind is blown thinking and wondering why they fixed the fan wire???? This was not what I brought my truck in for, I brought it in for the injector. I ask to speak with the mech, and he says there is no problem and that if there is he would not know how to find it and that the truck would have to be dyno tested. This is crazy Im thinking. So I tell them Im not paying 350$ for a 5$ part laboured out at 3hrs and of course I did not request this work. The next day I brought it to my mech after of course having huge headaches getting the truck released from that garbage dump. Cost to me 700 and repaired correctly ps(#6 injector) but still I had to pay for the work and will not get my warranty out of this. Hell of a deal this trucking is, but I would never buy a volvo again ever mostly because of service, but also the trucks have gotten worst over the years. Mine is one of the very first (1995 GMC/WHITE) 18 double over eaton fuller, 460 Cummins, Super 40 rears, and 2million miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.