VOLVO

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Magnum1, Jan 2, 2011.

VOLVO vs OTHERS

Poll closed Feb 11, 2011.
  1. *

Volvo is a great truck with the cummins engine for o/o.

60.5%
  2. *

Volvo is a great truck with the volvo engine for o/o.

9.3%
  3. *

I would buy a volvo vs freighliner for the o/o.

46.5%
  4. *

I would buy volvo vs international for the o/o.

32.6%
  5. *

I would buy volvo vs kw for the o/o.

23.3%
  6. *

I would buy volvo vs peterbuilt for the o/o.

30.2%
  7. Volvo with the cummins has the same amount of issues as others, money wise.

16.3%
  8. Volvo is just another " glider" with the cummins engine - same as others.

4.7%
  9. *

Would not buy 13spd cummins volvo for the o/o.

11.6%
  10. *

Would buy a 13 spd cummins o/o for the o/o.

30.2%
  1. Magnum1

Magnum1 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    Dude, I thank you for your concern, but, I want to know the facts from the o/o before buying a truck. Like I've stated earlier, may be not in this post, I do not want a long nose and be one of those guys who can't park the truck in north nj or NY because the truck doesn't fit in between the fence and the dock, or, it is so long that it can not get docked due to its cumbersome length.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    Magnum1, I think if you like the Volvo as a company driver then check them out for your own truck. Last year I sold my 03 379 Pete and bought an 07 VNL 780 Volvo with ISX Cummins engine and have been totally happy with it. Sitting in it at my little table waiting to unload in the morning as I type this. Sold my 379 because I also wanted more room in a truck and wanted better fuel milage and have been happy on both counts. As for working on it I have a great shop at home that does most of my work and they say that Volvo's are better to work on than Freightliners. I say go for what YOU want.

4. BigKid2

BigKid2 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Indiana
    Volvo's are a nice riding truck but they are an electrical nightmare. I have never had as much room as a 780.

5. Magnum1

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    I just spoke with a 25-30 year veteran who owned a garage and was an o/o as well. He said that petes are nice but he also said that volvo's are great as far as the driver comfort and interior reliability. He'll check with ppl who owes couple of volvo's.

larry2903: how long you had your volvo, what years you bought it, how many miles you had on it when bought and how many now, plus, what have you done to it so far - mechanical issues. - be honest please. Thank you

6. larry2903

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    I have only had my Volvo since September of last year. It had 485000 on it then, and now has 527000 on it. I have only had minor issues with it, replaced both front axle air bags, had the overhead adjustment done a couple weeks after I bought it, replaced stock mufflers with some Donaldson full flow mufflers. Truck had new tires and brakes on it when i bought it. Other than those few things I have mentioned the rest has just been regular maint.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  7. Magnum1

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    I'm stuck between pete 386 and volvo. I love volvo for the ride, comfort, space - all the points from drivers point of view - i love. But, all these negative posts and problems with these volvo just discourage me or should I say I'm kind of afraid of spending 40k - 50k on something that I'll have problems with. That's a lot of money. On the other hand, buying a pete and then learning that volvo was/is not as bad as being told would make me go kooooo-koooooooooo. I'd spend a lot more money for a pete with less options then I could have for a volvo with more options. The only thing that I'm concerned right now is the electrical aspect and the weight aspect of the truck. Yes, the volvo weighs more, I know. But, all the mechanical parts are the same, cummins, fuller, eaton. The only diff. are the wires and it would suck really bad being stuck because of some stupid electrical issues.

8. Magnum1

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    O yeah, if you can't tell - I'm pissed. he he he. I'm tired of looking at and comparing these 2 trucks.

9. nutcase

nutcase Light Load Member

May 2, 2010
    Meridian, ID
    My situation is similar to larry2903's. I have had my 2007 Volvo 780 with a Volvo D12 engine for just three months. It has about 490,000 miles on it, 32,000 of which are mine. The local dealer found a cracked cross member exactly seven days after I bought the truck. No problem, 6 year/750,000 mile warranty on the frame(the dealer I bought the truck from didn't even give me a reply after I sent them pictures:biggrin_25510:.)

Other than that, I have had two leaking wheel seals and a cold water leak.

There was a lot replaced on this truck before I bought it including two egr valves. Have had the oil changed twice now out on the road with no problem of having the proper filters.

Buy a truck you like and has been properly maintained and run with it. Unless you know everything that has ever been done maintenance wise it's all just a crap shoot regardless of the brand.

10. larry2903

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    Magnum1, I got the same way when I bought my truck. I was looking at this Volvo and a t600 with a studio sleeper. I called the dealers so many times:biggrin_2551:. I finally decided on this truck because it had what I wanted, Cummins, 13 spd, 3:58 rears, aerodynamic, roomy sleeper, nice looking and clean, and the price was right. I was not worried about the weight because I had talked with the company that I am leased to and they told me they had several o/o with same type of truck. Since I bought the truck I have not had any problems hauling my loads.Only been once or twice that I was close to being over, no problem cause time I got to the scales I had already burned off enough fuel to be legal. As for electrical problems, this is my third truck as an o/o, first two were Pete's, now Volvo. I have had electrical problems with the Pete's as well, not major but still, a short here, a short there. These things roll down the road, we load em heavy, they bounce down these rough roads, they are all gonna need work. I am not an eletrician, I hate short's, but I have a good shop at home with some top shelf mechanics, when I have a problem, if its not something I can do, I go to them. Moral of the story is: look the truck over, get the engine history from Cummins or which ever one you go with and buy the truck that you want. We spend a lot of time in these thing's and I am going to be comfortable, and don't really care about what some people think about my short hood.:biggrin_25512::biggrin_255:

11. Magnum1

Dec 13, 2010
    NJ
    what re your thoughts on the volvo w/n14 engine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.