Volvo's Dirty Trick

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by toluso, Jun 8, 2024.

1. toluso

toluso Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2024
    When I bought my 2008 VNM, I had no idea of the 5 min shutdown or that it was a parameter that couldn't be disabled in the diag computer yourself. You would figure when you bought a vehicle, put the key in and it starts and that's it. I'm old school and bought a newer (to me) 2008 VNM, it shutdown on me when I was inspecting the engine and couldn't find the problem. I started it again and sat there looking at the dash, then it did it again but this time I seen the warning on the screen. Went through the computer with a fine tooth, couldn't find a shutoff for the shutdown so I called service dept and they told me I'd have to pay to get them to turn off what shouldn't be there in the 1st place. I then tried the OBD2 route, but they want $3-800 for the dongles to communicate with another $2k worth of software. I remember having full control of my truck but now I got pay service to disable idle shutdown. I'm not O&O, I'm a private old guy hauling a 5th wheel trailer. Does anyone have any other hidden things that should be modified for a retired guy not to have any more surprizes? I have to pay the full hour! OR has anyone figured out a less expensive way to navigate that system?
    THANX fo listening.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Try jumping the park brake switch. What engine?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's nothing new. Manufacturers have been doing that for 25 years.

Siinman and ducnut Thank this.
  5. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Find an independent shop that has PTT and they should be able to disable idle shutdown cheaper than a dealer.

6. toluso

toluso Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2024
    Wow, somebody actually answered my thead, I'm impressed! Engine is the D13 12.8l. It's been a minute or 5000 since I drove, so that was a shock when that happened. I stay to myself as the Pacific NW has taken on a more liberal standing than I. Otherwise, finding a shop like that would be great for more than just this 1 keystroke item, Thanx Animosus. The park brake switch in the old days was pulling the big yellow diiamond on the dash. I'm skidish to mod anything in these deletegate times... I'll say it again, I remember when we owned the truck, they didn't. Are they going camping with me too when I get this HDT built? LoL
    Thanx guys, that park brake switch thing sounds pretty sane, as long as it don't screw nothin' up, get back with me on the howto's

7. MIg25

MIg25 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2020
    Fort Lauderdale - Florida
    I have a VNM as well, I had this set up. You can bypass the set up temporarily by pressing the cruise control button towards the left on the stack when it is at idle. This way it will not shut down after 5 minutes.
    I paid a friend of mine to hook up the computer and disable this feature for good. With the software and the computer it is an easy disable, just by unchecking certain parameters.
    My truck also had the 65 MPH Limit set, I disable it as well using the computer.

Siinman Thanks this.
  8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I may well be wrong, but I wonder what company owned this truck previously? Usually, these trucks are spec'd by the company to come with this either enabled or not.
    The company can request a secure password for that area of the software that only the dealer can access. The reason is, they don't want their drivers with a buddy, with a shop & software to be able to get into this/these sections & make changes. Sometimes it's just the password to get into the software that any shop can access to make changes anywhere in the software.
    It depends on how it was set up per the way the company spec'd their fleet trucks.

The company I work for, uses an independent shop for most repairs. But we have to take it to the dealer to get the speed settings changed because it requires a secure password to get into that specific area of the software.

Now that you own the truck you can have them to delete any secondary/secure/sectional password.

Hopefully it's not the case with your truck.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    Siinman Thanks this.
  9. toluso

toluso Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2024
    Thanx, now you opend p the next can O worms, The Governor I didn't know it had. Are there any other surprize items I need to know about? Then it might be worth paying the mech for an hour just to run the PTT. Can we come up with list of those surprizes to keep a mech busy for an hour? I knew about the cruise control and revving twice, thanx again Mig25 for that next gem! What else did Volvo throw in that need adding or clearing?

10. toluso

toluso Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2024
    Luckily I had to pick this auction win from the fleet mech himself (Y'all just reminded me of that) and that might be where I get or make sure it's been opend up, thanx Grumppy!

11. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Stop blaming Volvo! It’s a software feature every truck manufacturer have in their software, which allows fleets to setup a truck with whatever restrictions they want in place. Paying a dealership tech to walk through every parameter WITH YOU is how you can get the truck setup to your liking.

Siinman, Goodysnap, Feedman and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.