Vr6 adjustment? Cobra 29LX

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Chris M., Oct 2, 2020.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Yes i just fine ridge..you...Maybe i worded it wrong cause im not mr know everything..So ill just say ground then..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That’s good you’re doing fine, just have to poke fun at it.

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Light Load Member

May 27, 2010
    Tater State
    So this my next mission. I got home tested the swr. Mimicked the radios. And during the whole procedure it didn’t give me the warning....drove the truck back to the spot where I keep it and it does it so something is wonky. I know here is a ground strap from the antenna mount to the floor of the cab on my and it’s a big strap. So I would think it should be fine but I actually don’t own a multimeter currently so I need to get one.

5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

Unless you are using an external swr meter or an antenna analyzer, you are just chasing your tail. You can leave an external meter inline to see what the swr is doing, especially where you keep the truck parked. The thing that sounds bad to me is your ground strap. It's sounds like it around 5 feet long, which isn't good, since it can become part of the antenna system. Most ground straps should be 1 foot or shorter.

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    No thats wrong....All you have done is make antenna longer...Well the antenna will see it that way and give a wrong reading.....You need short wide straps connecting points to connect parts of trucks together to make it as one....Frame to cab..cab to door..door to ant mount..

7. Chris M.

May 27, 2010
    Tater State
    Should have clarified, it’s a factory strap... only way to know how long it is is to tear out a cabinet and wall. Also I missed typed. I used an external swr meter.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  8. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Okay, using your external swr meter, does the swr drastically change when you are at the spot that you park your truck at? If not and you talk and receive okay, then you need to adjust the vr6 pot, which I would do anyway, since they are usually out of adjustment.

9. Chris M.

May 27, 2010
    Tater State
    It was a normal swing but almost identical to the radios. I think i need to do the VR6 again I may not have set it out far enough..

10. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Well if your external swr meter reads an swr below 3.1 when the antenna warning light comes on, then vr6 is out of adjustment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.