W900a a/c upgrades

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by ParkerFly, May 13, 2016.

1. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Different types and manufactures of condensers have different heat transfer abilities. That makes judging a condenser by it's physical size incorrect.
    If you had room I would install another one in front of the radiator. Have seen some add on units with electric fans mounted on the frame rail, Red Dot?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    There's definitely room in front of the radiator. I've got a pipe dream of installing an air to air in there but realistically that'll never happen.
    The piece of equipment I move with this truck has an aftermarket Street rod a/C type setup and it works great with the small condenser and fan mounted on it. Of course it's cooling a much smaller cab than my KW is but it blows out an easy 10+ degrees colder.

W900AOwner Thanks this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I thought the grill condenser was pretty much standard. They were on both the cabovers and the conventionals.

5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Yes I stand corrected! Was thanking about some T models.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    No personal experience, but have heard that the grilldensors will not work with the 134 , just not enough cooling capacity. I do know, both my W9 and T8 with a york compressor will freeze you out, I think the sandems actually last longer though.

7. ParkerFly

ParkerFly Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Tennessee
    Forgot about this old post. I took all the factory under dash setup out and replaced it with an 11300-vuz-a from vintage air. HUGE improvement. Will freeze/burn you out no problem now. I've heard some say the grilldensors don't work good with 134 but I'm getting temps around 40 degrees out of my unit.
    Also the type of compressor won't affect cooling ability. All it does is compress air. As long as it's working properly the rest of the a/c unit isn't affected by what is compressing it. It is hard to get good quality York's anymore. I went through 3 in a couple of years before I changed to a sanden.

W900AOwner and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. W900AOwner

W900AOwner Heavy Load Member

Jul 2, 2014
    I have a Vintage Air Gen IV system in my A model, and I am thoroughly satisfied with both heat and a/c. I don't have any system in the bunk at all, and the a/c will keep it comfortable in there as well. Glad I did it.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.